lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.
16528259

my brand new asus laptop will not play cds or dvds. How can

Customer Question

my brand new asus laptop will not play cd's or dvd's. How can i fix this please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
Hi benjina,

GO to start search,type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

DO you find any yellow exclamation marks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks. it has a yellow exclamation mark next to PORTABLE DEVICES(XD/SDMMC/MS/PRO) and there is a minus instead of a plus next to this.

There is also a minus next to DVD/CD Rom drives. Everything else has a + next to it.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
This indicates that your registry is corrupted.

CLICK HERE! to download a zip file that contains two important registry files.

Add them to your registry.

You can double click on them after opening the zip file .

Merge both the zip files to your registry.

After that try to play a good audio or video CD and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i ran both of these zip files but this has not worked in playing the discs. Can you please explain the Registry and registry merging part to me? maybe this where i'm missing something! I hope i'm not being too difficult. This is the first time i've used Just Answers service... I would have paid the top price for this! ...next time! ...Look forward to your response

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
Do one thing.

Extract both those zip files to your desktop.

Right click on them and selecrt merge.

After you merge both the files,restart.

IF youf ace any problems i am there to help.

Just remember this link where we are comunicating

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2hecm-brand-new-asus-laptop-not-play

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have merged both of these and it says they were successful and then i re-started, yet the discs will not play.

USB's won't work either. When i go to computer it doesn't show any of these drives.

I am used to inserting a disc and having a box pop up that notifies what i wish to do and then accepting, yet none of this happens.

??

Thank you for your time. i am willing to ask as a separate question or if there is an option at the end to pay more or again, just to get this working!

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
Sure.

YOu can add a bonus latter after you accept.

But for me it is important to fix the problem first and not get your money.

VIsit the link below:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Click on the fixit button.Save it and follow onscreen instructions.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fixit says there is no letter assigned to the cd/dvd drive. How can i do this? Would this be the only problem?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delayed response.

Go to start search,type compmgmt.msc and press enter.

GO to disk management

See if you find your CD drive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that's totally Ok. I'm surprised you're even awake given the time there! i went to compmgmt.msc and it's showing me the name of the disc i have in but no letter for that drive. does this help?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
I am in a different time zone/

So its fine with me.

After you are there,Right click on your cd drive.

Select change drive letters and paths.

Assign a drive name say X or Z,a letter that has not been assigned.

See if it helps.

Else follow these steps:-
  1. Click Start , and enter "device manager " into the Start Search field.
  2. Click the plus sign ( + ) next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives .
  3. Select the drive name, click the uninstall button, and wait about five seconds.
    Figure 1: Device Uninstall button
    The drive name should be removed from the list (and the DVD/CD-ROM drives category will also be removed if there is only one CD/DVD drive).
  4. Click Action , select Scan for Hardware changes , and then wait for Windows to find and install the CD/DVD drive.
  5. When done, the drive name should appear in a Windows message and in Device Manager.
    Figure 2: Device installed successfully message
See if it helps.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
If the problem still persists,please take help of manual steps under let me fix it myself in the link below:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I will be offline for some time.

Will return soon to check the status.

C ya.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have tried everything you've suggested and have still not been able to have any success. Before finding you guys online, i have tried to play several differents kinds of dics: audio, vcd and dvd and even plugged in USB and an external hard drive. This is my first lap top (i've had it for a week), the home desk top was set up years ago and i never had to learn to install the software back then, so now i'm suffering! Maybe i should have bought a mac and not listened to my dad! My brother said i can send the computer back to Asus within 2 weeks, so i'm contemplating this. The optical drive is spinning but still won't read. When i went to comp manager as directed by you, i found the name of the disc and went to add a letter to the drive by selecting and clicking ADD, however it never registered and yet this and the USB should always show in Computer or My Computer am i right? The uninstall and re-install of the device for the cd/dvd drive said successful and popped up in the bottom right hand corner, yet still nothing.

I do appreciate all your helpful responses. Am i scraping the barrel? The new laptop was sold with supposedly having everything on it. I would've bought a Notebook if i knew it would be this hard to play a disc!!

If you can no longer assist, then i will accept and pay you for your time. I do appreciate it

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
Do you still get yellow exclamation marks in device manager?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the only yellow exclamation mark that is popping up in device manager is one that comes up under PORTABLE DEVICES, called Microsoft WPD Filesystem Driver.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've actioned this also by scanning for hardware changes and updating the driver, and even though windows determines this is installed properly, the yellow exclamation mark continues.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD FileSystem Volume driver software."
3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem disappears.
4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and select properties.
5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what Disk number the populate assigned it.
6. Go back to the Computer Management window. On the left side is a folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk Management.
7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and paths.."
8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager.

Your final aim should be there should be no excmamation marks and all drives should be assigned letters.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you. i did all of the above and then went back to the device manager. it is still the same problem with that volume driver under Portable Devices.

do i need to be re-starting the computer once again for the exclamation mark to disappear?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
Yes you do need to restart.

I am surprised that the problem isnot fixed yet.It is just a problem in registry.

Also are you from the states?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'm surprised too!

i'm actually in sydney, Australia.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 4 years ago.
AFter all these efforts if the problem is still not fixed it is better to reinstall windows.

FOr sure its not a hardware problem.

Please backup all your data and reinstall windows and that should fix the problem.

lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, wil do. thank you for all your help. Much appreciated Lifesaver.

Ben