Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

my recovery disc does not restore my HP pavilion dv6000 laptop it

my recovery disc does not restore my HP pavilion dv6000 laptop
it has an error saying i am missing a kernel
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Its possible that your disc has got corrupted. These CD/DVD discs have a limited life and gets corrupted over time even if they sit idle.

Now come HP models have a built in recovery partition on hard drive. Lets try using that.
Follow the steps below to use HP Recovery Manager to return your notebook to its baseline factory condition, then allow the PC to run all the setup programs.

Please let me know if you are stuck at any step.
  1. Press the power button to turn on the PC, and press F11 on the keyboard immediately while the computer is starting up. The HP Backup and Recovery Manager window will appear.
    NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image wiill start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed.
  2. Click Advanced options , select the System recovery option, and then click Next .
  3. If the Recovery Manager can access the hard drive it displays a prompt to backup up user files before continuing the recovery. You may either backup your files, or skip the backup and recover the operating system.
  4. If the Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix the system errors, you will need to order new Recovery discs from HP for a nominal charge.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi

this recovery disc is only new, i only got it a few days ago, I have done all the 4 points you have mentioned , i ordered the Hp recovery (system recovery dvd)

this comes up on the windows boot manager:

File: \windows\ system32\ntkrnlpa.exe

Status: 0xc00000e9

Info: windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Were you able press F11 and open the recovery manager on start up ?

Did you get same error even that time ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi

yes f11 works and the recovery manager starts up..... ( ive tried with disc and without the disc on the recovery manager) it wont take me back to orginal settings...

the recovery has worked once before on the phone line when it was under warranty, wihtout the disc..

what ive done is turn the computer on with the disc in ,and the disc starts working thru the recovery manager that you have mentioned, however the last error is the window boot manager that i mentioned earlier...

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Alright, while using the disc, did you ever reach this option and what did you select :

Select one of the following methods depending on the type of recovery method you want to perform:
  • Press R to perform a standard system recovery.
  • Press F to perform a destructive recovery. This will format the hard drive. If the hard drive is new or has had the recovery partition damaged, this option will also create new partitions and format the drive.
  • Press Q to quit recovery.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

i am at the welcome to the recovery manager screen where it is asking me to hit f11 if i want to recover by recovery paritition.....hit "next" what shall i do to get option "f" ?? which is probably what i need ...

think i have had Option "r" defn not option "f" and i guess "q" is the get out option...

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

You need to press F on that window.

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi

i can only hit the "next " which takes me to formatting the drive

then it says: do you want to continue?

option : yes or no?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

You will have to click YES.

This is because, the recovery manager is not able to perform recovery without formatting because of some bad files or bad sectors on your hard drive.

Also, beware that if there are too many bad sectores (physical damage) on hard drive, recovery will never work. And you will need to replace hard drive.

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi

i am in the factory image recovery screen it is :_

- refomatting the windows partition of your hard drive

- reinstalling orginal content.....

however i have been thru this section many times now with no sucess.....

by your last response it sounds like my hard drive is damaged physically of internally??

sounds like time to buy a new hard drive and try it this process again???

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

As a last ditch effort, I would suggest you to remove the hard drive from laptop. Connect it to some other computer using USB Enclosure (buy it from amazon / bestbuy) and then try to format the drive.

Else, just get hold of a Vista Installation disc and try to format the drive (without removing from laptop) using that disc.

That way you can confirm is the drive is bad or not.

Then you will have to buy a new hard drive. I would recommened Seagate brand.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

I am one of Alwyns mates and run linux. I was thinking that this is a hard drive falure or something gone wrong with the partition tables.

I will bring in gparted and will reformat the disk. I might even try and install linux on the machine and see what it does.

If this does not work, he can get a new hard drive and I will put it in. He is pricing some up now. Do you know if these have a sata or ata drive?

It is a HP Pavilion dv6000.

Thanks

Don

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

dv6000 is a customizable model as per info I have. So there is no confirmed way I can tell you if it has ata or sata in it.

If the computer would boot up, you could have gone to Start > control panel > device manager > Disc Drives to see if its ATA or SATA

Else, if you can enter the BIOS of the computer, you can get the info from there.

As last option, you will need to remove the hard drive from the laptop and read its label. It will be mentioned there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi

Thanks

Yea mate Don, might be thinking it is a partition thing, but will double check next week with the linux disc., as he just mentioned last time he installed the umbutu disc, that he some how managed to trick the system into booting up and that is how i managed to find my photos and down load them onto my external hard drive.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

If my answer helped, please click the green ACCEPT button so that I get paid for my work from this website.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO