Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

The ePower Management on my Acer Aspire 3690 is not working.

The ePower Management on my Acer Aspire 3690 is not working. It is version 1.8.10.066 .
How can I get it to work or get it fixed so I can use it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

Do you have XP / Vista 32 / Vista 64 bit installed on computer.

How and when did it stopped working. Did you install / remove any software/hardware

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have XP

It stopped working quite a while ago. I just haven't been able to find anyone to help fix it.

I did a recovery several weeks ago. I share this laptop with my grandson who downloads music and videos on it.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

Did you do a system recovery that took your computer back to factory settings by deleting everything ?

If yes, which disc did you use ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, just using F10. I tried making the discs when I got the computer but for some reason they did not work right. And once it shut the computer off (when I was making the discs) I couldn't make them later.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

I checked the Acer website and they do have updated versions for Vista, but for XP they have not provided any version for downloading.

So, lets try this, do as follows :
1. Start > Run > type msconfig [press Enter]
2. Now goto startup tab.

In this tab, scroll down till bottom and see if you find something related to Epower Management in that complete list.

Let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found it and checked it. When I tried to apply it I got this message.

An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

So, who has the Administrator account on this computer ?

If its someone else, then please login to Admin account. Let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a way to do that with out logging off? Or, will I be able to reconnect through my email?
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me after you restart computer.

Alternately you can login to Justanswer.com again and then goto My Questions and reply to this question.

And you will connect to me in both ways. And yes, I will continue assisting you even after you accept my answer.

Thanks!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay, I've logged into the admin. account
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hi !!

do as follows :
2. Now goto startup tab.
3. Select (make tick) to Enable the Epower management and click Apply
4. Click Restart.
5. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
6. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Then see if the problem persists. Let me know how this goes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I still get the same message.

Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

In that case it seems your Admin account settings have been changed somehow. You can try to create a new Admin account with full access and try it.

If that doesnt work, please try this and let me know if it works out or not.
Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 key on startup. Then select Safe Mode with Networking from the menu and press enter.

On the windows login screen, press Ctrl + Alt and then press Del "twice" in order to bring up the classic logon menu.

There type in Administrator in the 'Username' field and leave the 'Password' field empty and press OK (enter).

Then windows should load in default Admin account. From there try to make the msconfig changes I said.

Let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It will not let me sign in under administrator
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

Then you need to get a Acer recovery disc from :
Acer CD buy : https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

And do a complete system restore and create Administrator account for yourself. Dont create any other accounts.

Then try this. There is no way to enable it unless you are Admin

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.

I have ordered the cd to do a recovery.