Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.

Is there any way I can recover, locate, find passwords used

Customer Question

Is there any way I can recover, locate, find passwords used on my computer in the past?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
CustomerThank you for using

Windows encrypts user and admin passwords on your hard drive to provide better security. It even prevents any external tampering while Windows is running so that the only way to change those passwords would be through Windows itself, which is a problem if you can't remember your password.

Most passwords are encrypted and when replaced are not stored for retrieval. This is for your security and to reduce the chance of someone finding out your password.

So, you would be unable to locate previous passwords used on your computer due to encryption.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Actullay the passwords I am looking to retrieve are passwords that have been used to access different web sites thru internet explorer
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Customerpasswords used to access websites are commonly saved in cookies on the computer. The passwords are encrypted in many different ways depending on each website.

You can view the cookie files and see if any of the websites did not encrypt the password XXXXX user information. If you use IE the default location for your cookies will be C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Cookies but to see them you will have to go to C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\ then click on Tools -> Folder Options and then select the View tab and then select the radio button that says Show hidden files and folders so that you can see the Cookies folder.

Other than viewing the cookie files you are unable to retrieve passwords that have been used on your computer, unless your computer is setup to save all passwords using a third party software. Sticky password XXXXX XXXXX example of a program like this and is available at:

More information about cookie passwords can be found at: