Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience

aol mail page doesnt load and open on internet explorer anymore.

Customer Question

aol mail page doesn't load and open on internet explorer anymore. I can get to aol home page and see my mail in the thumb size window but when I click to open mail it just keeps loading and doesn't open
Category: Computer
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. Sometimes problems like this can be caused by corrupt temporary internet files or cookies.

Please do the following to clear them.

1) Open internet explorer
2) Click tools at the top then click internet options
3) In the window that pops up click the delete button in the middle this will open another window. Now in this window delete the temporary internet files, cookies, and history. Then click ok/close and then try to get your email again.

~~Let me know the results if this doesn't work we can continue troubleshooting~~
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience: Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried what you sugested and it didn't cure the problem. Let me give some more details.
Internet explorer has always worked to open my aol emails even after I updated to explorer 8 a few weeks ago however after being prompted to down load explorer tool bar I think thats when I started having trouble. I unistalled explorer and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work.

If I open internet explorer it brings up AOL home page. In the home page I see a mail window thumb size, if i put the mouse pointer over the window I see my emails. When I click to open the emails a white page comes up that say's loading and a voice say's You Have Mail but it doesn't open to see the email, on that same page it say's "If your mail doesn't load you can use basic version" I have clicked on this and it open's and I see all my emails but....I can't open them. The only way I can read and send email now is to open AOL broadband and not use internet explorer. I don't understand what has happened!!

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. Please try to use internet explorer without add-ons and we'll see if it still has the same problem.

1) Click start click all programs click accessories click system tools click internet explorer no add-ons then internet explorer will open and tell you it is running without add-ons. Now try and go into your mail and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I tried what you suggested it worked after I answered you and closed all windows and tried again (with out add-on's) it would not load again. so....what next?

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Alright thank you for the quick reply, that tells us that an add-on is causing the problem.

1) Open internet explorer, then click tools at the top then click internet options
2) Click on the programs tab at the top.
3) Click on "Manage Add-ons"
4) Disable them all then enable 1 at a time each time opening Internet Explorer to test it out till you find the one that is causing the problem, then leave that one disabled and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It worked the first time I tried this after I closed all windows and tryed again it still doesn't work. I went back and checked to make sure everything was disabled and it still doesn't work. So...can you help?
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. Are the appropriate add-ons(ones causing the issue) still disabled?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All are disabled.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
All are? hm..What happens if you go back into IE no-addons does it work again then?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. Hm....that is so strange, this is definitely an issue with Internet Explorer since it's works in the AOL Broadband browser.

Lets try to reset IE:

1) Click start, click run and type in inetcpl.cpl then push ok and your internet options will open, now click on the advanced tab at the top and then at the bottom click reset then follow the screen and let me know if that fixes the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I tried what you suggested above and it still doesn't work. Here is whats happening.

When I go to aol.com on internet explorer search page opens and I pick aol.com welcome to aol I click on this, aol home page opens, I can rest the mouse over aol mail button and the thumb size window opens and I can see my emails, When I click on the aol mail button the next page opens and a voice says "you've got mail" this page reads loading mail and it doesn't, it just keeps diplaying loading mail forever!

I close In-Explorer and open aol broadband to write and send emails and I never used to have to do this aol mail always worked on In-explorer. What I don't understand is when I first tried your suggestion of disabling add on's it worked and then I closed everything and tried again it worded work and hasn't since. I checked to make sure add on's was disabled and it still doesn't work. ?????????

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Hm...Ya that doens' t make to much since. I"m sorry to hear that my suggestion hasn't worked so far. Could you please tell me what kind of antivirus program do you have? Also what version of Internet explorer do you have, is it the latest version 8?

Sorry for my delayed response. Had a busy weekend and couldn't get online
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Ryan, I'm using Webroot antivirus w/ antispyware and using Internet Explorer 8 which I resently upgraded to.

Thanks for your help on this

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
What I would recommend trying is using compatibility mode in Internet Explorer 8.

To do this please try the following:

1) Click tools at the top and then click Compatibility View Settings like below:

IE8 tools menu

Now type in www.AOL.com and click add then click close and try to go into the side again.

Compatibility View settings

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ryan, I tried this and it didn't work. When it goes to loading page it say's "If your mail doesn't load, you can use the basic version of web mail click here" I've tried this also and it open's I can see all my emails on a full page view but....when I try to open one of the emails they won't open. Just thought you might like to know some more information.

I would realy like to use aol on internet explorer like I used to be able to do. I just bought a new computer for the house and my aol mail works fine on internet explorer so it's not a problem with aol? Thanks again for your help I hope you can figure this out for me.

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Could you please tell me how many toolbars do you have?what are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Favorites-MSN-My Msn-Msn Money-Msn Entertainment-Msnbc-e Suggested Sites-M Freehotmail-r Realplayer-e Getmore add-on's- eBing Traffic-Msn.com Slideshow.

12 total?

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Alright thank you for the quick reply. hm...i'm actually not sure what would be causing this, i'm going to have to opt-out and open your question up so that the other experts can review it and possibly give you an answer. I will request a refund for you if you would like since I didn't resolve the issue but you accepted.

~~Another expert should be with your shortly~~
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ryan, Thanks for your help. Please don't request for a refund you keep it! If you open this up and someone else comes up with an answer I'll pay them.

Thanks again

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much, that is very generous of you.

Have a wonderful day

Another expert should be with you shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ryan,

Sorry to bother you but I haven't heard back from anyone on my problem with internet explorer

Thanks

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Your not bothering me at all, i'm very sorry to hear that you haven't been contacted again. When I opt-out your question gets put back into the list for all the experts to see, sometimes it takes some time for another expert to see the question and opt-in.

I will send your question to a couple experts though to see what they think.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Ryan
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ryan, Do I need to click the accept button in order for you to be paid?
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Nope, at the very beginning of your session you clicked the accept button.

I'm very sorry no other expert has been with you yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe the reason I haven't heard back from anyone, is because no one has an answer.

Thanks again

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Mr. Rivet, it is possible that other experts have reviewed your question and didn't have an answer and thats why they didn't opt-in, you are correct, that doesn't mean they all reviewed it though, you can continue to wait for an expert if you would like.

Sorry that this is taking so much time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll be waiting.

Thanks

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.
Alright, your welcome