Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Gateway laptop Mx3417 wont turn on. The Blue light turns

Customer Question

My Gateway laptop Mx3417 won't turn on. The Blue light turns on when you plug it in when you push the power button the other blue light comes on but the computer doesn't do anything. The CD spins, can't tell but the HD doesn't seem to be working. It sounds like the fan is working. The battery does charge. any ideas
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hi !! Please answer all these questions 1 to 3 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Gateway boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1 completely blank

2. no there is no faint picture.

3. None of the lights blink there blue lights one says the battery charging the other light that comes on is stating that it is on. the HD light doesn't come at all. The laptop doesn't try to boot.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for the information.

Please do the following carefully:
1. Shutdown and Unplug your laptop.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery yet) and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking.

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Same as before the CD Rom Blinked as before the power light is on and the other blue light (wireless) is on. No screen or boot
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hi !!

If your data is important to you than buy a Laptop Hard-drive USB Enclosure and use that to connect your laptop's hard drive to another computer using USB and copy your data

What we just did is, we drained all charge from your motherboard. But it still didnt work.

Now you can check 2 things :
1. Try re-inserting the RAM (memory modules) - do this first.
2. Bios battery. It is a button type battery located inside your laptop. Replace it with new one.
3. Only the screen has failed. You can verify this by using another monitor with this computer. If laptop works with external monitor then you need to get the display repaired.

If this doesnt work, than your motherboard or ram (and maybe display too) is damaged. You need to get it repaired or replaced. I would suggest you to take quotes from few places because sometimes replacement is cheaper than repair.

If they suggest you to replace it. Then you can buy it Online and replace it on your own. Search for a repair manual online.

If its under warranty, contact Gateway customer support for free repair.

In anycase do not spend more than $150 in getting it repaired because it will be a better investment to buy new laptop as computer prices are at all time low.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know or try. I was looking for someone with more Hardware experience. I wanted to know and receive information on disassembly of this model. It is obivous that one of the power supplies are not working and wanted info on power distribution internally to the computer.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 years ago.
Hello !!

Power distribution ?? .... this is not a desktop. Its all integrated on motherboard.

Anyways I will opt out so that someone else can give you detailed information.