shibaranjan
shibaranjan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  9 years of experience in computer applications
15802437

I am getting sn e16 error messgae on my new canon g10

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  shibaranjan replied 5 years ago.
hi..
thanks for using just answer

Do you have another memory card? can you try the stock canon card and see if it does it with that memory card?

How do the contacts on the battery pack look? can you clean them? scratch them up a bit with somthing pointed.

More often though it is related to memory issues, and memory consuming modes such as rapid shutter, or movie taking.

Try a canon card, a 16 mb card, or just any card known to be operational with a similar model. If there's no effect, ask for a repair estimate from canon, or look for a reliable repair person that can actually work on these things because the manufacturers will always give you a breath taking flat rate.

If you manage to squeeze canon to reveal what E-16 actually stands for let us know...

OR
E16 Error code (on all canon compacts) that there is something wrong with the lens mechanism and it cannot contract/extract/focus etc. Basically, if the problem is not fixed by removing the batterys then you'll have to take it into a shop or get a friend who knows a lot about this stuff to take it apart (obviously thats a dangerous thing to do)

hope this will help you
i am wating for your reply
thanks
If I answered your question and you are satisfied with the answer please click the green "ACCEPT" so that I am paid for my time.
hi...

i think e16 and e18 errors are similar or closely similar

here i am providing you how to get rid og e18 error
hope this will help you

EXTREMELY common, its a problem with the lens mechanism, and one that is very easy to get. cannon will fix this problem if you're within the 1 year warranty. but will not replace or refund for this specific problem as they should.

you can get this by dropping the camera, or by simply not being totaly gentle with the lens when its out. Very very very delicate.

I'll post a guide here on fixing the problem, but you should know what you're doing.

good luck!

E18 - Repair Guide:

With a little fine motorical luck and some patience, following this guide can help you repair your camera. The repair costs with Canon amount to approx. 260, - EUR and aren't worthwhile themselves in most cases. One should, however, check whether the warranty for the camera still is in effect and whether Canon would cover repair costs.

It cannot be guaranteed that the camera will be 100% functional again after the repair.

Necessary Tools:

- screwdriver Philips size 00
- cotton swabs
- alcohol
- NO grease, silicone spray, etc.

The removal of the error E18 is demonstrated with a model of the digital IXUS. The internal structure of other models of the IXUS (like the USA ELPH) series differs slightly, so that the steps made here can serve as basis for all models.

all text refers to the picture above it.

Comments:

Apr 09, 2006

- Here's the camera to be repaired. In the display we can see clearly the reference to the error E18.

Apr 09, 2006

- First, unscrew the housing rear wall, then the front part and afterwards the middle framework with trip etc. (except IXUS 400) can be removed. Preserve screws well!

Apr 09, 2006

- This ring protects the lens of the IXUS against penetrating dirt (missing with IXUS 300/330). Wave well!

Apr 09, 2006

- The motherboard is shielded with a coated foil. Now the two screws are removed and the screen is opened by unfolding the foil off of the motherboard.

Apr 09, 2006

- Now the two remaining screws fastening the motherboard can be removed.

Apr 09, 2006

- Now we must detach this cable. Pull (or push) the "key" for the connector out (as shown with the arrows). Once that's been released, the cable will just slip out of the connector.

Apr 09, 2006

- Next, remove the screw marked by the arrow...

Apr 09, 2006

- ... and the top buttons are gone...

Apr 09, 2006

- To remove the tripod mounting screw, remove these two screws.

Apr 09, 2006

- Next, the remaining plug connectors on the front and back of the plate are disconnected. (pointed out with the arrows which ones have been disconnected)

Apr 09, 2006

- Do not forget the plug on the back (it's missing with IXUS 300/330)!

Apr 09, 2006

- Now the motherboard is carefully removed.

Apr 09, 2006

- Now, turn the camera over, remove the screw below the display and carefully unfold the screen!

Apr 09, 2006

- Now remove the marked screw under the display and srew on the display again (see previous step).

Apr 09, 2006

- Unscrew both bolts on the lower surface and just loose the black one on the top side of the camera.

Apr 09, 2006

- Now remove the foil plate stuck together with the accumulator case carefully.

Apr 09, 2006

- Turn the accumulator case away and remove the CompactFlash slot.

Apr 09, 2006

- Remove the two remaining screws of the lens unit on the back of the camera.

Apr 09, 2006

- Now remove the status leds ...

Apr 09, 2006

- ... and move the lens unit carefully up (pay attention to bottelnecks).

Apr 09, 2006

- Remove the lens unit.

Apr 09, 2006

- For removing the optical viewer loosen and pull the marked screw upward.

Apr 09, 2006

- Press the autofocus light with a screwdriver out of the optical viewer.

Apr 09, 2006

- Remove the slide for the optical viewer. In addition it must become completely strained and pulled upward from the guidance. Unhook the spring.

Apr 09, 2006

- Move the lenses in the optical viewer into front position.

Apr 09, 2006

- Open the lens unit . Don't oben the "gear box" at the moment!

Apr 09, 2006

- Take off the flat cables from the mounting plate.

Apr 09, 2006

- Slightly open the case and simply remove metal cogweehl by removing the axis.

Apr 09, 2006

- Move out the lens a bit by manually pushing the gear rim. Then open it. Take care of the ribbon cable.

Apr 09, 2006

- Retract the lens again completely.

Apr 09, 2006

- From the front of the lens press and the individual building groups will come apart.

Apr 09, 2006

- Clean the guidance track in the lens to be free of sand etc.

Apr 09, 2006

- Outside ring: take apart and clean.

Apr 09, 2006

- Engine and transmissions: examine the whole bit. Make sure the engine contacts are clean and if necessary, the "gear box" to ensure it's clean as well.

Apr 09, 2006

- The gear wheels are clean. Finished!

The assembly of the camera takes place in reverse order. After a successful repair, the IXUS is then again completely operational.

hope this will help you
i am wating for your reply
thanks
hope this will help you
i am wating for your reply
thanks