Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

CRT Computer Monitor PINK Screen -- how fix it? We have a

CRT Computer Monitor PINK Screen -- how fix it? We have a ~6yr old CRT KDS monior and a ~2.5 year old Dell Dimension 4600 with an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.

Yesterday wife called, said home PC screen was pink. Got home it was that way all nite. Rebooted two times, degaussed monitor, changed color management settings -- nothing. Turned off power at wall to PC+monitor last nite -- hoping that "static" might fade away. Pink again this morning.

This afternoon when talking to my wife, monitor colors went back to normal -- + stayed that way for 2 hours. Now Pink again.

Searched web -- few hits, but one hit said Pink screen is uncommon but happens, +didn't know if solution was monitor or graphics card or loose cnxn and it will come and go

Now I bring the problem to you. Have you dealt wPink Screen? What is the source and how to fix. Only one computer at home -- so not able to swap out monitor to determine if monitor is issue. The pink haze is annoying. Thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Yes, this is a common problem in CRT as well as LCD monitors.

This is not a software problem, so dont change any color settings in computer.

This can happen because of two reasons :
1. The data cable connecting the tower the display has a crack or is loose. (mostly this is the issue)
2. The graphics chipset (on motherboard) has issues.

In very few cases we find the monitor to be bad. Considering its 6yrs old, we should not rule out this possibility.

So, the best way to go about it is to plug in another monitor (borrow from a friend) to your tower. If that monitor works fine, than you know that the motherboard is fine. And problem is either in the data cable or the monitor is bad. Then replace the cable to confirm the issue.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Andy -- Actually as I thought about it, the simplest thing is for me to bring home my computer monitor from my office when I'm back in on Tuesday (assuming it isn't raining tat day). Your explanation provides confirmatory experience. Don't worry, I will get back to you with the results of the test -- so we can complete this request.

Meanwhile, the monitor did flip back to normal colors last night for about 1.5 hours at end of night. But pink again this morning (At least the printer doesn't print in pink!). I did look at the monitor -- wiggle cable, reconected the jack at computer but to no avail. Also bad news for me -- if diffrnt monitor fixes it, I may need to buy new unit as data cable from monitor is permanent. InCincy
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

The data cable which is plugged in monitor (fixed) can be replaced easily if you open up the back cover of monitor. Make sure to unplug power from monitor and let it sit idle for 24hrs before opening it up (to drain all current).

Else, take it to local repair shop and get it done.

In anycase, if office monitor works fine, I would advise to buy a new LCD monitor because they are good on eyes and consume lesser power and take lesser space and come quite cheap.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Andy -- did borrow a LCD monitor and cable today -- flipped bewteen the CRT and the LCD three times -- CRT always pink, the borrowed LCD monitor always correct colors. So it is the monitor or cable. Have unplugged CRT and set aside. Will open up tomorrow. Not sure if it will be socketed inside or all the leads are soldered. If soldered then would have to replace by soldering where I suspect one poor quality solder joint by me may risk a video signal interference issue of some some sort. KDS XF-7b monitor. If that is the case, I think better to purchase new LCD. What do you think? I suspect you will respond with similar opinion.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

On the few CRT monitors that I have opened up, the wire is fixed with screws and washers. Hope its same with your monitor.

But good news is that the motherboard is fine. To replace a monitor is easier and cheaper than to buy a new tower anytime.

I would advise that try to replace the data cable on your own. If you fail to do so, just buy a new LCD monitor.

Dont waste a single $$ to repair this. I would do this.

And do keep me posted. I will continue assisting you.

Take care

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Andy -- wanted to report back that after 1 or is it two weeks, our new LCD monitor was the solution. When I opened up the CRT, the wires were all soldered indivdually -- so it was clear not to spend any more time on that unit.

If a future probelm comes up, we may converse again. Thanks. InCincy
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hello !!

Thanks for keeping me posted. I am sure you will enjoy the new LCD screen.

Next time if you need to reach me, write FOR ANDY in Computers in your question heading and the question will reach me.

Take care