Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

the built-in webcam on my laptop wont turn on but it wo

Customer Question

the built-in webcam on my laptop wont turn on but it worked this morning .
the mic still works but the video is only a black screen . whats wrong?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am here to help..

There couldbe many things that might have happend.. but you did say it worked this morning.. so im thinking that maybe an automatic update came in and messed it up.

Please try this

go to start, programs. accesories, system tools, system restore. and choose a restore point one or two days ago, and perform the system restore..

Then when it is done.. should take about 20 minutes at most.. when its done your cam will work again,.

if you have any further questions you can ask them here..

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2g1fd-built-webcam-laptop-wont-turn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that and it didn't work, still .
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
If you could, please specify the name brand and model of your computer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
T-Series Gateway Laptop .
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
RESOLUTION:

Step One: Disable and Enable the Webcam Driver

1. Shut down and restart the computer.

2. From the Windows Vista™ default Start menu, click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click Device Manager.

4. In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

5. In Device Manager, click the plus sign (+) next to Imaging Devices.
    View Picture

6. Right-click Gateway USB 2.0 Webcam, and then click Disable.

7. In the Gateway USB 2.0 Webcam dialog box, click Yes.

8. Right-click Gateway USB 2.0 Webcam again, and then click Enable.

9. If this did not resolve the webcam issue proceed to step two.

Step Two: Uninstall the Camera Assistance Software

1. From the Windows Vista™ default Start menu, click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, under Programs, click Uninstall a Program.

3. In the Uninstall or Change a Program dialog box, click Camera Assistance Software for Gateway, and then click Change.
    View Picture

5. In the Camera Assistance Software for Gateway - InstallShield Wizard, click Remove, and then click Next.

6. When prompted for confirmation, click Yes.

7. In the Uninstall Complete dialog box, click Yes, I want to restart my computer now, and then click Finish.

8. If this did not resolve webcam issue proceed to step three.

Step Three: Reinstall the webcam driver from the Gateway Recover Center.

1. From the Windows Vista™ default Start menu, click All Programs, Gateway Recovery Center, and then click the Gateway Recovery Center program.

2. In the User Account Control dialog box, click Allow.

3. In the Gateway Recovery Center dialog box, click Hardware.

4. In the Hardware dialog box, click Device Driver Recovery.

5. In the Device Driver Recovery dialog box, click Other.

6. In the Other dialog box, click Chicony WebCam SW and Driver, and then click Next.
    View Picture

7. In the Congratulations dialog box, click Finish.

8. Shut down and restart the computer.

9. If this did not resolve webcam issue proceed to step four.

Step Four: Download and install the newest driver from the Gateway Web site. Drivers are listed under Webcam Downloads. Select the driver specific to the computer model.

If you need the download link or have any trouble following these instructions just send em another message on here ok!

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Let me kow if yoou are having any success or difficulties with following said instructions!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in device manager, i cannot find "imaging devices" ..
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
The webcam got diabled or erased somehow..

please go here, download and then install the program for the webcam again and its drivers. once completed reboot the computer and restart the webcam..

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21670&dscr=Webcam%20Driver%20Package%20Version:%20Webcam%20Driver%206.0.216.416,%20Camera%20Assistant%201.7.022.0430&uid=242447911

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The link to the webcam, is grey, and I can't click it for the download ..
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the long delay.. Was away on last vacation of the summer before school starts..

Here is the link again..

ftp://esupportXXX@XXXXXX.XXX/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_vista/webcam/D20147-002-001. exe

please remove the spaces between the exe and the period.. then copy that into your address bar, hit enter, and the download should start..

Let me kow if you have any difficulties with it!