Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a toshiba laptop and I cant get the cursor to work.

Customer Question

I have a toshiba laptop and I can't get the cursor to work. I don't use a mouse but I tried a wireless and one with a wire mouse but I still can't get it to unlock. The cursor is frozen right in the center of the screen.
Ron Bradshaw
PS I am using my wife's computer to communicate this message
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help..

Im going to assume that you have shut down the laptop several times and have had no success in restoring the mouse? that everytime it comes back up it is still stiuck..

Turn the laptop on,, and when it is fully booted up..

Please press and hold the function key... it hould be on the bottom left of your keyboard by the space bar and labeled as FN

Press the function key and the f9 key...

See if the cursor start working again.. if it doesn not.. please let me know and i have a few other thigs we can try!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mr. Sandlin, I tried that several times and it didn't work.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. we will move on to something else then..

Ok,, restart the computer agan, and then clikc f8 when its first loading..

tell it to start in last known good configuration..

See if that helps..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't work. I couldn't get any response from the computer as it was starting up and while I was pressing F8
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok question.. does the keyboard still work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The keyboard seems to be working because the arrows work, delete button, control, alt, and delete button work. But I can't test the rest of the buttons because the cursor is frozen.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Yes ok..

do you happen to have the xp disk..

or a system recovery disk?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry we have looked but do not have a XP or system recovery disk
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok... please specify if you could, what the name brand and model of the affected computer is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173. Is this enough?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok,, we have to access the recovery console somehow.

the easiest way is upon restart , as soon as the computer screen turns on, start pressin f8 over and over and over..

We ned it to ask how you want to start.. if you can get that screen to come up let me know.. if not.. also let me know..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We got the windows advance option menu to come up and the up and down arrow keys work
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. inder thos options, type back to me which ones we have.. in particular im looking for a recovery console, or system restore.. if you dont see it, please type back to me what you do have..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

last known good confirguration (your recent settings that work)

directory services restrore mode (windows domain controllers only)

debugging mode

disable automatic restart on system failure

start windows normally

reboot

return os choices menu

enable boot logging

enable vga mode

safe mode with command prompt

safe mode with networking

safe mode

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok,, first lets try the last known good config option..

if that doesnt work,, reboot, and then come back here and let me know when you are back at this screen..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. We lost the options and were finally able to get them up and we tried both the good config option and reboot and it did not work. I am back at this screen.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Ok please boot up in safe mode with command prompt..

Then please try the FN key and f9 key again.. does anything shwo on your screen when you do this?

If you toggle it on and the touchpad doesnt work.. stay in safe mode with comand prompt

i need you to access the command prompt with your keyboard.. to do this
press the window button on the keyboard.. now press the up arrow key to move the highlight to programs now hit enter now move to accesories and hit enter now move to command prompt and hit enter

this is what you must type in the command prompt and hit enter
C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

navigate the system restore and go back as far as it will allow..