Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
669790

I have a brother SX-4000 ELECTRONIC TYPEWRITER, when I turn

I have a brother SX-4000 ELECTRONIC TYPEWRITER, when I turn it on it only makes a clicking sound followed by a beeping sound and will not move, before I could move the wheel accross from left to right but now it is stuck on the right side.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Wow there is a blast from the past. There is a little tab on some of those that is on the right side near the rail and it releases the carriage. Other than that you are only left with the option to use force when the machine is turned off. Support for type writers is tough to find right now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm looking by the correction tape (roll) and don't see anything
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
My directions might be off. When you face the keyboard look on the left side of the rails and see if there is a little tab it is not close to the print wheel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the carrage is to close to the left side, it won't move an I don't want to brake it further.

Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
The carriage is on rails and it is pulled by a belt or a band. As it sits right now, this machine cannot be used. You can look for a place to take it in, but you will have a difficult time finding one and also you may be paying a high price. You can get pretty rough with it and not have to worry about it as long as you dont press too hard on plastic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will not budge, can't I take the top plastic cover off some how? I took the two screws that are located on the top right and left of the top back of the unit, but it still won't open. I really want to try to get this working. Thank you for your patience
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
have you tried code + reset q
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just turned it on and it was vibrating trying to move then stopped doing that and it started beeping. I tried the code and reset, but nothing happened it just kept beeping.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have two of these machines, one the correction tape does not work, so I was thinking on the one have been talking to you about that's not working, i want to try to just take the part out that makes the correction tape work, is that possible?
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
We are flying blind on this. I cannot locate a service manual on the machine. In order to do that it would involve taking the case off, removing the rails, the cable and the carriage drive and putting it in the other machine. Novel idea but not something easy.
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience: 20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec