Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I cant install the scanner driver for my Canon PIXMA MP190

Customer Question

I can't install the scanner driver for my Canon PIXMA MP190 series Photo All-In-One printer. I have installed using the cd twice and it will not pick up the scanner. Can I get some step by steps instructions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am here to help..<br /><br />   Please if you could, specify what operating system you have..<br /><br />   And the brand name and model of your computer!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not sure, Windows, is that the operating systems? I run through Windows. The printer is a Canon PIXMA MP 190 series. It;s a all-in-one (printer, copier, scanner).
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
ok, we need to find out which windows you have..

this is what we will do..

press the start button, then click control panel, then click classic view, then click system

now this page will show you your processor speed, how much ram (memory) you have

and most importantly, what build of windows you have, XP, Vista sp1 sp2 sp3

please go there and repoirt back to me what you see..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows XP Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.60 GHz 1.59 GHz 348 MB of Ram Intel (R)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
windowds XP pentium (R) 4 cpu 1.60 GHz 1.59 GHz 384 MB of RAM Intel (R)
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
ok..

please go here,

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=238&modelid=16981#DownloadDetailAct

press i agree onthe page that comes up to download.. once downlaoded.. do not install, disconnect your printer first, and turn it off..

now once that is doen, install the file that youjust downloaded.

restart your computer..

now turn on the printer, and now plug it into the computer.. wait about thirty seconds or so..

no i want you to go here

http://files.canon-DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

please download and install that software.. now you should notice a new icon in your taskbar near your clock ... Please double clikc on that to access your printers software menu and then tell it to scan something, see if it communicates properly now..
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to the link, but I do not see a place to agree. Just looks like a driver and downloads page, what do I select?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Sorry , my links didnt copy properly..

for the first one,, where it says select os under drivers and downloads tab, clck XP

then on that page click on
MP190 series MP Driver Ver. 1.00 (Windows Vista/XP/2000)
mp190svst100ej.exe

the blue part , it should be red on that page, .. that will bring up the page to agree to, and then once agreed, will start the download..

after downloaded, follow the rest of the instructoins above

when you get to the second link that doesnt work let me know..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I did the download but I don't notice another icon, well there is one in the bottom near the clock that reads "My Canon Printer", nothing about the scanner and the secon url (the dangerous one takes me to a ASK page

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, you did the download of the first one..

disconnect your printer, turn it off, install that download, then this is important, resatrt your computer, and once its back to the desktop again , and fully started up with all programs popups etc done starting..

then plug the printer back in, and then turn it on, wait about thirty seconds.. and then that icon near your clock, the my canon, open it, and have it try to tell your printer to start a scan.. let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay the second url takes me to a ASK page, don't see a scanner icon,
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
dont worry about the second url for the moment.. the first one you were able to download yes>

disconnect printer, install that first download, restart computer.. then reconnect prointer,, and let me know when you are there ok..

that first program is an updated driver for th printer that should get the scanner running again..

let me know when your done..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But I already installed the download.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
ok, you already installed, restarted and then reconnected the printer.. good..

Now go to the little icon on your taskbar near the clock,,

open it up, and tell the printer to try and scan something, see if you hear the scanner respond and start scanning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The My canon icon just gives me printer settings and printer status, i still see nothing about the scanner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still nothing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So is that it?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
one moment... im downloading a program almost done, i want to test it first before i have you download it..

no need to clog up your pc if the program doesnt work...the file is at 62 percent

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, sorry
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
No its okay, cathy, im sorry, i thought the program would download faster, apparently my internet is in slow motion...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you e-mail the file to me, I have to get up early. Sorry. If you can't then I understand, thanks for your time.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Do you have the Mp navigator program installed, you should i believe..

try this..
On the Windows desktop, double-click the MP Navigator EX 1.2 icon.

Alternatively, on the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to (All) Programs, Canon Utilities, then MP Navigator EX 1.2. Then click MP Navigator EX 1.2.

The MP Navigator EX navigation mode screen or one-click mode screen opens.

Navigation Mode Screen

One-click Mode Screen

When the one-click mode screen has opened, click the (Switch Mode) button to switch to the navigation mode screen.

Reference

If the Show this window at startup checkbox is not selected, the last used screen opens.

You can complete scanning to saving, etc. all at one time by clicking the corresponding icon on the one-click mode screen. See the section below for details.

Easy Scanning with One-click

2. Point to Scan/Import and click Photos/Documents (Platen).

3. Place the document face-down on the platen, and select Document Type.

Place the document according to its type. Refer to the table below.

Document Type How to place the document
Color Photo Allow 3/8 inches (1 cm) or more space between the edges of the platen and the document.
Black and White Photo
Color Document Align a corner of the document with the corner at the arrow of the platen.
Black and White Document
Magazine(Color)
Text(OCR)

Important

When you select Color Photo or Black and White Photo, the position or size of the image may not be scanned correctly if you do not leave 3/8 inches (1 cm) or more space between the edges of the platen and the document.

Reference

When you select Magazine(Color), the Descreen function will be enabled and scanning takes longer than usual. To reset the Descreen function, disable Descreen in the Scan Settings dialog box.

Select Text(OCR) to convert hand-written text or image data of printed text to text data with OCR software*.

*OCR software is not included with the MP190

4. Click Specify... and set the preferences as required.

The Scan Settings Dialog Box opens. Specify the Document Size and Scanning Resolution.

5. Click Scan.

Scanning starts.
When scanning is completed, the Scan Complete dialog box opens. Select Scan or Exit. Select Scan to scan the next document, or select Exit to end.
When scanning is completed, the scanned image appears in the Thumbnail List area.

6. Edit the scanned image as required.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have that MP Navigator. I have the icon but it says that it's not installed
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ah ha.. that is why you cant scan..

http://files.canon-europe.com/files/soft28620/software/NAVI. exe

just erase the spaces between NAVI and exe.. make sure to leave the one period

that is the donwload link to the navigator software , once you donwload and install it, you will be able to perform scans
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still get a error message " scanner driver not installed". I have 2 icons on my desk top, one is MP Navigator 3.1 the other is MP Navigator EX 1.2. What am I doing wrong????
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hmm... Scannner driver not installed.. let me look into that for a minute.. see if theres a conflict in the drivers and software..

ill get back to you..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get a error message thatservice pack 3 cd is needed but when I go into my system like you tld me last night, it reads "System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3"
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. lets try something,,

dont worry its quick and painless..

I want you to go into the contol panel, classic view, add or remove programs, and find xp sp3

uninstall it.. then we will reboot the computer,, then we will try and reintsall sp3 and see if that clears up the driver conflict..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
k, deleting now or unistalling files are being deleted, alot of them
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
done
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Now i want you to open up a a window like my computer.. look for the search box..

and paste this into the search box so it will search
'
eppexwin302en.exe

hopefully the file is still on your computer and we wont have to download it again.. if it is on your computer and you find it. run it again.. after you run it, try opening up the navigator again.. keep in mind there are two icons and you should try them both afterwards..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am at work now. Once removed that xp sp3 I could do nothing on my pc, not even read my e mail. My screen looked all funky, colors looked liked they were bleeding, black and white were there should have been color, I can't access anything
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. there was a reason for removal..
1
Please go here and re-download sp3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en

after reinstalling sp3 then restart computer

come back and verify with me that sp3 is installed properly