Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My HP Netbook wont connect to my wireless network.

Customer Question

My HP Netbook won't connect to my wireless network.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Austin Atkins replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Sorry for the delay. Can you please provide me the model of your computer?

Did you install any software before it stopped connecting?

Also, what operating system are you using?
Thank you.
Austin
OK. I see it now. Please click start, control panel network and internet connections. Network connections. Right click your wireless connection. Choose properties.

Select the authentication tab.

Uncheck the IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network option. Then click ok and see if you can connect. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The model of my netbook is HP with XP it's currently running a trial version of Windows 2007.

My desktop which is hardwired to the internet and wireless modem is running Windwos Vista (upgraded from XP).

I have'nt installed any software to any of the pc's.

Thanks the guy from Comcast had me uncheck the IEEE box but that didn't help.

Ok. You are referring to windows 7 correct?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

correct.

Your original information says you have windows XP. But then you mentioned you have windows 7. Which is it?

Can I have the model of your notebook?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HP MINI 110
Thank you.

Was it ever connected to this wireless network in the past or is this the first time?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was never able to connect to my home network.
Ok. Is there a computer around that is connected (by cable) to the wireless router?
Also, what is the model and make of the wireless router?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Austin,

Right now I'm in Network Connections and under Lan or High-Speed Internet

I have a Local Area Connection with a Red X on it saying Network cable unplugged. Next to that is my Wireless Network Conenction 2 which says "Validating identity", and it's been saying that since we first began to chat.

Ok. Do you have a network cable to plug your computer into the wireless router?
Also, the model of the wireless router?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I have a cable.

The router is a netgear router 54mbps wireless router WGR614 v8.

Thank you. For this, you will need to plug your computer into the wireless router. Then see if it will connect to the internet.

Thank you.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay give me a minute.
Sure. Take your time. What were going to do is really look through settings and find out why your laptop isn't happy. If the computer isn't happy. No one is!

Also, please try this. Click start, control panel, network and internet connections, network connections. Right click your wireless connection and choose properties.
Double click the Internet protocol Version 6. Make sure they are both set to obtain IP addresses automatically. Do the same for the Version 4 one.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You mean use an ethernet cord and plug my mini into one of the open slots on the router?
Yep. Thats it.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay it's plugged in.
Ok. Please look at the bottom of the wireless router. You will see whats called an ip address. It will look something like. 192.168.2.1

Find this number, open up internet explorer, type this into the address bar and press enter. You will arrive at your routers setup. Also, on the bottom will be the default user name and password XXXXX log in.

When logged in let me know. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No such animal. I have a security pin #, a serial # XXXXX a MAC address. Underneath the MAC address are numbers but they aren't in the IP format.

The guy from Comcast had me type in an IP address should I just use the one he used?

Ok. I believe you are looking at your modem. Not your wireless router.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There is nothing that resembles an IP address on the 'black box' either.

One thing did change. the local area connection in my Network connections is now connected but the wireless is still trying to validate my ID.

Please see the following picutre:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/wireless%20router%20netgear%20bottom/narangz/review/wgr614/bottom-label.jpg

Try entering http://www.routerlogin.net

most use an ip address but netgear uses this address.

Thanks.
Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay I'm in and it says a new update for Firmware is available. Do I want to upgrade?

IF other computers are connected to this wireless router. I would hold off for now. If an updated firmware doesn't get done completely, it can become a dead wireless router.

Do you see the section regarding wireless settings?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Please view the wireless settings. Please relay me the security type, authentification type, and the password. You will see things mentioned like WPA2, TKIP

Please tell me what you see. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Security type:

Authentification type:

Password:

It doesn't give me any of that info. What it does give me is:

WPS settings

Router's PIN: 63543780

Then there is a box that says Setup Access List...could it be in there?

Ok. Into the Security type, choose WPA 2. In the authentification type, choose TKIP.

please choose a password. Or are you not planning to setup a password?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm there on the Security Options and I also found my paperwork for th LAN setup by Comcast. They have the security options set at WEP. If I change it will I have more problems with my other PC's? And I do have a password XXXXX I intend to use.

OK. The Lan is for computers connected by ethernet. Changing these settings won't affect computers that are wired. PLease note down the security settings, let me know what they are. Thank you.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I selected WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) they didn't have a WPA 2.

Ok. Keep track of which one you chose. Return to th network connections. Right click on Wireless Connection. Choose Properties. Select the Wireless networks tab. Select your wireless network. Choose properties. Select your security settings from the drop down menus, enter the correct password, then click Ok.

Then disconnect from the wired network. Then see if you can connect. View available wireless networks. See if you can connect. Good luck.

I may not be able to respond much longer. Very late. Would you prefer we pick this up in the morning or I opt out?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, lets to this tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

Good morning. 6am here.

Have you tried setting the security settings of the laptop, disconnected and see if it will connect?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just signing back on.

Having problems with my laptop since we changed the settings yesterday. It won't connect saying that the setting have changed.

Last night when I unplugged the netbook from my router it would no longer connect.

Do you mean that the wired won't connect after we changed the wireless settings?

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No my laptop. I have a desktop (hardwired) a laptop that is (was) wireless and a new netbook. My laptop will not connect now.

Please plug your laptop into the wireless router. Right click the icon in the bottom right of the screen and choose repair. Then see if it connects.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Give me a minute.
Not a problem.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I plugged in the ethnet to the laptop and it won't connect it says local access only and the name of my network is GIBBSNET and there is a red x in network connections and it says 'the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.'

OK. Lets try a system restore to bring the settings back the way they were yesterday.

Please click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. Follow the prompts to restore your computer back to a day ago. Then click next. When this is done, see if the computer will connect by cable. Thanks.

Austin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What I did was go back to the Router set up and changed the security settings back to WEP and that worked. Only thing now is my netbook won't connect.

So we are back to square 1?
Austin