Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

How can I delete the blue/red vertical lines that appear when

Customer Question

How can I delete the blue/red vertical lines that appear when I reply to an email?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

Do you see a similar problem in any other webpage ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The question is not for a webpage but for my Thunderbird email server. When I receive an email then click "Reply" or "Forward" it will put two horizontal lines on either side of the text and/or photo. If I do it again it will continue to put the lines.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Oh I see. You mean the quote bars (two blue lines in both sides of the messege).

There are couple of options to change it

1 Click Tools-> Account Settings

Click Composition and Addressing under your email account in the left pane

Uncheck Compose messeges in HTML

Click Ok

Restart Thunderbird

3 Using an add-on. You can download the following add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/170

Save it first.

Then click Tools-> Add-ons in Thunderbird

Click Install

Browse to the location where you saved it and select it

Click Install

Restart Thunderbird

Click Tools-> Add-ons

Click Options beside newly installed Add-on

Let me know if it does not help

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
I think my previous reply did not get to you.

Please try the following first

Click Tools-> Account Settings

Uncheck Compose messeges in HTML

Click Ok

Restart Thunderbird
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes that does get rid of the lines but composes the email in a not so organized fashon. Here is an example:

> *From:* XXXXX XXXXX [mailtoXXX@XXXXXX.XXX]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:29 PM
> *To:* Rachel Sheriff
> *Subject:* Re: nFusion
>
>
>
> Rachel,
> Thanks for writing back. Anytime between now and 3:30 today
> would be fine.
>
> Rachel Sheriff wrote:
>
> Hello Doug,
>
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Actually there are two options as far as I know

1 To use the vertical bars (as it was before)
2 To use > mark to mark the previous messege.

You can also try to

Click Tools-> Account Settings

Uncheck the option Automatically quote the original messege... checkbox.

However, this will eliminate the original messge but will give you a blank window (as if a new messege)

Please let me know if this is not an option for you. In that case I will opt out to see if other experts can provide a different solution.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well that would somewhat defeat the purpose of Reply. If you could please ask around and see if you can find another solution. Thanks Santonu.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
While looking at my own messeges in Thunderbird, I though of something which might help.

Open a messege and then click Reply

Now select and copy a single > mark from the messege

Click Edit-> Find and Replace

Beside Find Text, right click and select Paste (to paste the > mark you copied earlier)

Click in the box below that(Replace with), press space bar once

Click Replace All

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only problem is that is in the non HTML format which eliminates any HTML in an email. I do have HTML in a lot of my in and out email so I really cannot do that. The only real way I have found is to copy the email then paste it into WP then copy it again in WP and paste it into the forward email. It is a pain but it does get rid of the lines.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
In that case let me opt out to see if other experts can provide a solution.

You will receive an email notification when other expert join you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have you had any luck finding another expert?
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately I could not find any solution as of yet. I already forwarded this question to other experts.

They will post a reply here if they find a solution. You will receive an email notification when other expert join you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks.