Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

My HP Officejet 6110 is telling me to Open door. Clear carriage

My HP Officejet 6110 is telling me to "Open door. Clear carriage jam, then press Enter".
I can do the first and the last, but how do I clear the carriage jam?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. To clear the error message we need to paritially reset the machine.

Please do the following:
A partial reset returns user settings to factory defaults. On some models, the reset also restores the default language and country/region settings.
  1. Disconnect the power cord from the product.
  2. Press and hold # and 3 while reconnecting the power cord.
  3. When reset displays, release both buttons.
  4. Try printing again.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists , see the next step.
~~Let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue~~
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a # XXXXX 3 key on my HP printer. Do you just want me to disconnect the printer from the power supply and then reconnect?
Thank you for the quick reply. Does your printer look like the image, below from the HP website that is what the Officejet 6110 should look like and it should have all the buttons for the reset? If that reset doesn't work though you can definitely try a power reset but unplugging the unit and then holding the power button for 30 seconds and then plugging the unit back in and then see if that resolved the issue. ~~ If not let me know so we can continue~~
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried doing both those things and it did a 'Partial Initialization' then told me the same as before , adding the instruction to 'Insert right cartridge' which of course I can't do because the carriage appears to be jammed! I don't want to take a sledgehammer to the blasted thing but how can I tease out the carriage bar. Perhaps the lid has flipped off the right cartridge and is causing the jam??
Thank you again for the quick reply, if the carriage appears to be jammed or the product stops printing and the error message ' Clear carriage jam and press ENTER to continue ' displays on the product. The carriage that holds the ink cartridges stalls against the left side of the product.

Source: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00310245&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=79477&rule=25623
Solution
Follow these steps to resolve the issue. It might not be necessary to complete all the steps.
Step one: Turn the All-in-One off and on again
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
  2. Press the Power button ( ) to turn the product on again.
Step two: Clear any paper jam
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product, and then turn it around to access the back of the product.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product and the electrical outlet.
  3. Remove the rear access door by pressing in on the two release tabs, and then pulling the door out.
    Figure 1: Open rear access door
  4. From the rear access door opening, remove the jammed paper.
    NOTE: If the paper tears while removing it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more paper jams are likely to occur.
  5. Inspect the pressure rollers on the rear access door to make sure that they are clean and turn freely. If necessary, clean the rollers with a soft cloth lightly moistened with water, and then dry them.
  6. Reinstall the back door, and then open the cartridge access door. Gently pull out any remaining paper.
    Figure 2: Open cartridge access door
  7. Remove the remaining paper from the paper supply tray. Discard any damaged or crumpled paper, and then reload the paper into the paper supply tray.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the product and the electrical outlet, and then press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step three: Make sure that the carriage moves freely
  1. With the product turned on, open the cartridge access door. The carriage might try to move into the access area. If so, allow it to move to that position.
  2. Without turning off the product, disconnect the power cord from the product and the electrical outlet.
    WARNING: You must disconnect the power cord to move parts by hand without the risk of an electrical shock.
  3. Look in through either the cartridge access door or the output paper tray to make sure that the cartridges are secure in the carriage and not loose. Also, make sure that there are no obstructions under or around the carriage to block it from moving.
  4. Make sure the carriage can move freely across the width of the product by gently pushing the carriage to the left, and then to the right. Clear any obstructions found.
    You might have to reach through the output paper tray to access the carriage.
  5. Close the cartridge access door, and then reconnect the power cord to the product and the electrical outlet.
  6. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step four: Remove and reinstall the ink cartridges
  1. Open the carriage access door by lifting the handle until the door locks into place.
  2. Lift the blue and gray latches on the carriage.
    Figure 3: Open cartridge access door
  3. Remove the cartridges.
  4. Reinstall the cartridges: With the label facing up, slide each cartridge all the way into the correct slot.
    • Install the black cartridge or photo cartridge on the right side (gray latch).
    • Install the color cartridge on the left side (blue latch).
    Figure 4: Reinstall cartridge
  5. Close each latch, pressing down until the latch catches below the bottom tabs.
    Figure 5: Close latch
  6. Close the carriage access door.
  7. Press Enter to begin the alignment. After a page prints with checkmarks, the alignment is complete.
  8. Try printing again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks,Ryan. I'm sure those last instructions will be helpful but it's getting dark here now and I can't see to work properly on the innards of the machine!   Will save your message and fiddle about tomorrow in the daylight. Many thanks Adrian
Your very welcome, glad I could be of assistance, i hope that works for you. If you still have problems please let me know.