Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have an MFC-240C that is flashing error 51. We have cleaned

I have an MFC-240C that is flashing error 51. We have cleaned the inside of the printer and cant see anything wrong. Any ideas? The printer has been used about 2 years by one person, nothing very heavy. Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Does it say "Print Unable" in the message

Was there a paper jam recently. Or any other changes made to printer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it does. It reads Print Unable 51 see troubleshooting chapter in users manual
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Please do this and let me know result.

check the machine for any foreign objects:

1. Lift the scanner cover using the plastic tabs located on the left and
right side of the machine until it locks securely into the open position. Look inside the Brother machine and remove any foreign
objects.

2. Lift the scanner cover to release the lock. Gently push the scanner
cover support down and close the scanner cover.

If the message continues to appear on the display the machine will need
to be reset

3. To reset the machine, unplug the Brother machine from the power
outlet. Then press the power button on machine for 1 minute. Then plug it back in and turn it on.

Let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Andy, the printer is still acting up. The printer is built so you can see all of the paper path and there is nothing in there to jam up. The user said that he did have a paper jam and had to pull out the paper from each end but it all came out. We tried the reset and it tries to receive data then immediately goes to the "Print Unable" text.

Thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

This problem can happen because of following reasons :
1. There is some piece of paper / paper clip / sticker stuck inside printer and you are not able to access it. In this case you need to turn off printer, then turn it upside down and shake it few times. Then try to start it normally. If still not working then you need to open it up as much you can to see if something is stuck

2. The electric sensor which receives signal from the mechanical paper sensor to detect jam has issues. Either there is dust on it or its gone bad and needs replacement. You should first open up the printer and blow air in it to remove all dust. If it doesnt work then this repair will cost you much more than buying a new Printer. If its in warranty certainly call Canon.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help Andy, I agree with your accessment and I just wanted to run this by somebody else before junking the machine that has worked pretty well for us.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

To be frank, now days all printers come use and throw. Pretty bad I agree, but thats true.

Take care