Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.

How do I enable the print screen button on my keyboard

How do I enable the print screen button on my keyboard?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
CustomerThank you for using

In old DOS programs, the Print Screen key used to print a copy of whatever was on the screen at that time. However, print screen would not work with graphics. If there were any graphics on the screen at the time, you would get a garbled mess of symbols,letters and numbers from your printer.

In Windows and other current operating systems, the Print Screen key copies a picture of whatever is on your screen to the clipboard. You can use Microsoft Paint, or another graphics editor to paste the image and print it, e-mail it or whatever you like.

If the print screen key is not working at all please try the following:;EN-US;q196448

More information about the print screen button can be read at:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

My problem is that when I want to create a print screen to paste into a word doc nothing gets pasted. The first link you sent me relates to paint and I didn't really understand the DOS thing in the second link. Could you talk me through it in plain simple steps?

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Customerplease try pressing print screen and pasting into MS paint. Did it work in MS paint?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Josh,

No I'm afraid it didn't. I tried the 2 methods - colour palette and opaque options but it still didn't work. The paste option is still greyed out as if there is nothing pasted to the clipboard.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Is your computer keyboard setup in any special way for alternative languages, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Its set up as English (Ireland)
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Are you using a wireless keyboard or anything fancy? Or just a boring old standard PS/2 keyboard.

PS/2 connector picture:
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No just the bog standard keyboard!

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Does your print screen button have anything else written on it?

Mine says Print Screen/ Sys rq
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes 'insert' on top with 'prt sc' underneath

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Do you have a "Fn" button on your keyboard? If so hold that at the same time you attempt to use print screen. (Not when you go to paste only when you press the print screen button).

If the above does not work please follow the instructions to turn on the on screen keyboard. When the on screen keyboard is on use its print screen button and see if it works.
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
Instructions on how to turn on the on screen keyboard can be followed at:
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Fantastico - that sorted out the problem.

Thanks so muchSmile

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 7 years ago.
I am so happy your issue is resolved. Please press the accept button so this question can be closed.

Again thank you for bringing your question to, if you would like to work with me directly in the future please put my name Joshua C in the Question.