Nathan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Over 8 years computer experience, 4 years repair, building, and maintenance experience
4659745

webmail freezes while loading. tried all the fixes to no avail.

Customer Question

webmail freezes while loading. tried all the fixes to no avail. only happens on sony vaio laptop. it works on all other computers in house.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
What Operating System and browser are you using?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

see edited post above. Not much else to add except it has to be a setting in this sony vaio, as it's the only computer in our home that can't access her aol mail.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
How old is the laptop?
Has the system ever been able to access AOL Mail?
What version of Internet Explorer are you using? ) (This can be found under "About Internet Explorer" under the Help menu or the blue circle with a question mark in the center.)
Have you tried using a different browser?
Has there been any changes to the system recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's almost a yr old and she's NEVER been able to load AOL mail. Using IE 7, no other browser and no changes. I can get into it from my Dell that's a couple years older, using same OS and IE versions.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
Just to make sure I understand everything clearly, are all other web pages load up correctly, and you are using Internet Explorer to log in to AOL Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. Loading her AOL Mail is the only thing she can't do. We can login to AOL and see the mail by hovering over the envelope, and even read an individual message or bring up the compose window. It's only by clicking the envelope or the AOL Mail link that it locks up. The page changes to AOL Mail and says "loading" but then IE seizes up and I have to employ Task Mgr. to restart IE.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
Have you run Windows Update to make sure that everything is up to date?
Have you tried opening it in another web browser, like Firefox?
Have you scanned the PC for viruses and spyware?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes/no/yes, respectively. Just to be clear, this has happened from the very first time she tried to open her AOL mailbox. Many updates have been installed since but nothing has cured it.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
I would try resetting Internet Explorer's settings to the defaults if you have not already.
In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" and then "Internet Options". In the top row of tabs, click on Advanced, and then Reset. I would also clear out Internet Explorer's temporary data. In the main Internet Options window under Browsing History, click on "Delete...". I would highly recommend clicking on Delete All, as if there is anything there causing an issue this eliminates it.
Try accessing the AOL webmail again. If you still can not, go on to the nest steps.
Next, verifying and installing the latest version of the Flash player for IE. That can be found here.
In addition, I would highly recommend going to the Java web site and installing the latest version of Java, as well as after wards verifying it. The main page to do those is here. Simply click on "Free Java Download" and fallow the prompts. I recommend rebooting after the Java install is complete. Then open this page to test the Java interface.
If everything runs properly, try the AOL webmail again. If not, go through the help/trouble shooting section on that page. It will be more specific and helpful then I will be.
Again, try to access AOL webmail. If you still can not access it, try accessing it in FireFox. This is to verify if it's the computer or the browser having a problem. Firefox can be downloaded from here.
If you can access it in Firefox, then please try installing Internet Explorer 8. From personal experience I have found that Internet Explorer handles most, if not all pages the same or better then Internet Explorer 7.
Internet Explorer 8 can be downloaded from here.
Please let me know if you are still having issues accessing the AOL webmail after this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Still doesn't work. Have done the resets and installed IE8, but haven't messed with Java or Flash yet. Here's the error I get:

Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\InternetExplorer\iexplore.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

This is a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just updated Flash and Java and no joy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's finally fixed Nathan, but had nothing to do with the solutions you provided. I went online with Sony (hadn't done that) and found that there is a patch they have for this problem. Thanks for your help regardless.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.
Glad to know that the problem is fixed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cool