Magic C.
Magic C., IT/Network Engineer
Experience:  13+ years PC repair and building, MCDST, A+, and Networking
17932413

i keep getting an error 1603 when trying to download google

Customer Question

i keep getting an error 1603 when trying to download google chat and video talk. i was using this till about a month ago, no problems then it just stop working
Category: Computer
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Google Chat and Video Talk software?

-Do you remember what happened before it stopped working correctly for you?
-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have reinstalled several times. i have been on internet asking the question. a lot of people having the same problem. i am just about ready to give up. i enjoyed using the google talk and web video to speak to daughter in ca
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.

I have actually found a solution from a Google Employee:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=51fa8026fd0ac854&hl=en

What you have to do in install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Then look for the Google VideoChat plugin and uninstall. Then reinstall the plugin again.

Let me know if this works for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i guess i will just forget it thanks for trying to help me. i am just not smart on the computer. thanks for what help you tried to give
Expert:  Magic C. replied 7 years ago.

I can still help you. Were you able to try the solution? Believe me...it took some digging to actually find the solution within Google's own site (strange, huh?)

Let's walk through it.

1. click on this link to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.
  2. Save it to your Desktop, then run the program installation.
  3. Open the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and find the listing for "Google VideoChat plugin" or something like that, then click the "Remove" button and then close the cleanup utility.
  4. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Make sure all options listed have a checkmark EXCEPT Compress old files, Office Setup Files, and Catalog files for the content Indexer. Click OK.
  5. Re-run the installation of the video chat plugin and then try to use the service again.

Let me know if this works for you.