Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

I cannot scan from my printer HP 8500 premier to my computer.

I cannot scan from my printer HP 8500 premier to my computer. the message is that option is not available. HP tech support says my software was not installed correctly.   I uninstalled then attempted to reinstall and it did not complete. I have a deadline to ,ake HELP!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is an XP operating system
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok Do you get this message "No Scan Options: Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot ."??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok

Open this LINK
1. Click the Download Only button.
2. When a new pop-up window appears, click on the Save button.
3. Save the file in a desired location.
4. Double click on the download *.exe file.

After that restart the pc and reinstall the software by followin the steps below.

1. Make sure the product is turned on.
  2. Insert the product CD into the CD drive of the computer, and then wait a few seconds for the software installer to start.
    If the installer does not start automatically, click Start , click My Computer , and then double-click the CD drive.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll try it now. It goes into a hybernation mode and the only way I know to activate it again is to unplug and replug it. Any suggestions? if you want to make this a separate issue - it is ok with me.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok
First resolve this issue then we will take care of that..........
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
because my software isn't installed I have to copy your instructions by hand.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Take your time and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am going to go to the link right now

There is no *.exe file there is run and another.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
3. Save the file in a desired location.
4. Double click on the downloaded *.exe file.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The installation hasn't completed the last 4%. I somehow closed the user data window. It did scan though. How can I be sure that the installation is complete?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Restart the pc and check it once
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The installation has completed all but the the last 4%. I somehow closed the user data window. It did scan though. How can I be sure that the installation is fully complete?

By the way, where was the *.exe file located?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The installation seems to be s tuck in the last 4% is isn't moving. When I tried to restart the computer, Windows suggests I allow the installation to finish - but, as I mentioned, it seems stuck.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Then how are you able to scan??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The software gave me the option of adding scan to email and to network software.    
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
may be the disc is corrupt please download the software form this link

1. Click the Download Only button.
3. Save the file in a desired location.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After I save the file then what?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Double click the file to begin the installation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
as this is a wireless printer - but - it is not part of a network, how do I answer when I am prompted about using a USB port or being part of a network?

I don't remember the installation being this complicated before
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have you completed this consultation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your consultation was very good - are you not responding?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay please select network during installation please follow the steps below.

1.Wired Network
This document explains how to install the print drivers and other software for your HP product to use it in a wired (Ethernet) network. Please read this if you plan to install the product software on a networked computer with a Windows XP operating system.
NOTE: If you have more than one computer on the network, install the product software on each computer that will share the product.
Figure 1: Wired Network
Wired network
Before you begin: Check requirements
Make sure you have the following items:
  • One of the following types of wired access points or routers: Ethernet router, switch, hub, or wireless router with Ethernet ports
  • A computer that connects to the wired access point or router
  • A Category 5 Ethernet cable to use for the HP product. (Do not use a standard telephone cable.)
    Figure 2: Cable comparison
    Ethernet cable and telephone cable
    1 - Ethernet cable
    2 - Telephone cable (do not use)
    Although an Ethernet cable looks similar to regular telephone cable, each has a different plug and a different number of wires. The plug on an Ethernet cable (also called an RJ-45 connector) is wide, thick, and always has eight wires. The plug on a telephone cable is narrower and has between two and six wires.
Are you changing from USB connection to Ethernet connection?
If you previously installed the software for a USB connection and now want to change to an Ethernet connection, follow these instructions to remove the USB installation before continuing.
  1. Click Start , click Printers and Faxes , and then right-click the icon for HP product.
  2. Click Delete to remove the product.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the product and the computer.
Step one: Connect the HP All-in-One to the network
  1. Remove any plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the back of the product.
    Figure 3: Remove plug
  2. Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the product, and then connect the other end of the cable to an available port on the wired access point or router.
    Figure 4: Connect the Ethernet cable
  3. Connect the power cord to the product, and then plug it into an electrical outlet.
  4. Turn the product on.

When you are ready to begin, follow the instructions for the installation method that you want to use (CD or download). During the installation, choose the option for the network type of connection, not the USB option.
IMPORTANT: If you get any firewall messages during installation, click unblock , accept , continue , unblock , yes , allow , or permit , or the installation will fail.

2.
Wireless Network
This document contains instructions to install the product in an existing wireless network that uses an access point , such as a router. This type of network is called an infrastructure network. HP recommends the infrastructure type of network for wireless connection to your product.
NOTE: If you have previously installed the product for a USB or Ethernet (wired) connection, and now want to change to a wireless connection, see instructions to change connection type (c01624891).
Figure 1: Wireless network that uses an access point
Wireless network setup
IMPORTANT : Before you can install the product, your wireless network must already be set up. (To set up your network, follow the instructions that came with your particular access point.)
NOTE: If you set up device filtering on your access point, and need to find the IP or MAC address of your HP product, see Additional Information at the end of this document.
IMPORTANT : Before you can install the product, you must have the following information about the network:
  • Network name : The network name is XXXXX XXXXX (Service Set Identifier).
  • Password : WEP key or WPA passphrase
NOTE: To gather this information, you can ask the person who originally set up your network, see the documentation that came with the access point, or contact the manufacturer. HP cannot set up or change the network SSID, WEP key, or WPA passphrase.
Step one: Prepare for installation
Follow these steps to prepare for the wireless installation.
  1. Make sure that you have the following requirements before you begin:
    • Network name: The network name is XXXXX XXXXX (Service Set Identifier).
    • WEP key or WPA security passphrase
    • A computer that is connected to the wireless network.
    • Internet access. HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL.
    • Your wireless-capable HP product. Place it close to the computer during the installation procedure.
    • Administrator privileges or password (for Vista)
  2. Make sure the product, access point, and computer are all on, and that the computer is connecting to the wireless network.
  3. Exit all applications running on your computer.
  4. Disconnect any USB or Ethernet cable that is connected to the product.
Step two: Connect to the wireless network
Follow these steps to connect the product to your wireless WLAN 802.11 network.
  1. Touch Setup ( ) on the touch screen.
  2. Scroll down in the Setup menu, and then touch Network .
  3. Scroll down in the Network menu, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard . The Wireless Setup Wizard searches for networks, and then displays them in a list.
  4. Touch the name of your network.
    If the list does not contain your network name, follow these steps to enter it manually:
    1. Touch Enter New Network Name (SSID) .
    2. On the on-screen keyboard, touch the appropriate letters and numbers to enter the network name (SSID).
      NOTE: Make sure that you enter the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    3. When you finish entering the new network name, touch Done , and then touch OK .
    4. Touch Infrastructure , and then touch WEP encryption or WPA encryption.
      If you do not want to use encryption (a security password), touch No, my network does not use encryption , and then go to step 6.
  5. If prompted, enter the WEP or WPA key:
    1. Touch the appropriate letters or numbers on the on-screen keyboard.
      NOTE: You must enter the exact uppercase and lowercase letters. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    2. When you are finished entering the WEP key or WPA key, touch Done and then touch OK to confirm.
      The product attempts to connect to the network.
  6. Make sure the product successfuly connects to the network before continuing to the next step.
    NOTE: If a connection error message displays, make sure that the network name and security key are correct, and then follow the prompts to enter the information again.

To install the product on the wireless network, follow the steps for the method that you want to use (CD or download). Repeat the steps to install the software on each computer that will use the product wirelessly over the same network.
IMPORTANT :If you get any firewall messages during installation, click unblock , accept , continue , unblock , yes , allow , or permit , or the installation will fail.

Source:HP SUPPORT
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
accept your answer. YOu have resolved my scanning issue. Please help me resolve my "hybernation" issue. If the printer is unused for 5+ minutes it goes into hybernation and the only way I have found to turn it back on is to disconnect and reconnect the power cord. If you want to make this a separate question - I don't mind. Also what is the installation software referring to when it asks if I am a network/wireless - does it mean simply "wireless" or is it referring to a computer network? In this case the printer is wireless but not on a network.