Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Acer Laptop will not open starts whirring and then stop

My Acer Laptop will not open starts whirring and then stop and nothing else What do I have to do to get it to open
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !! Please answer all these questions 1 to 3 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Acer boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I press the power button the screen is completely black

There is no faint image of my desktop in the dark with flashlight

When I press the power button I see only a solid green I hear a brief whirring sound and the laptop doesnt even try to boot

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for the information.

Please do the following carefully:
1. Shutdown and Unplug your laptop.
2. Remove the battery from the laptop.
3. Wait 2-3 minutes
4. Now press ON (power button on laptop) for 1 minute
5. Then release the finger and wait one more minute.
6. Now plug in the power cable (dont insert battery yet) and press ON button.
7. Did your screen start working now ? (do you see windows loading)

Let me know how it goes. Do you see any change in LEDs on/blinking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

followed instructions but desktop still will notboot up Only the battery light and power cord light are lit

will try agin I had opened a cd from the cancer center of a POS scan. Unwittingly I ignored their warning if opened could caluse a malfunction in the system. I guess I am lock out and no way to get back in

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi !!

What we just did is, we drained all charge from your motherboard. But it still didnt work.

Now you can check 2 things :
1. Try re-inserting the RAM (memory modules) - do this first.
2. Bios battery. It is a button type battery located inside your laptop. Replace it with new one.
3. Only the screen has failed. You can verify this by using another monitor with this computer. If laptop works with external monitor then you need to get the display repaired.

If this doesnt work, than your motherboard or ram (and maybe display too) is damaged. You need to get it repaired or replaced. I would suggest you to take quotes from few places because sometimes replacement is cheaper than repair.

If they suggest you to replace it. Then you can buy it Online and replace it on your own. Search for a repair manual online.

If its under warranty, contact Acer customer support for free repair.

In anycase do not spend more than $150 in getting it repaired because it will be a better investment to buy new laptop as computer prices are at all time low.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for you effort. Nothing has worked