Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems

printer takes a long time to print

Customer Question

printer takes a long time to print
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your query.

What is the make & model of your printer?
What is the operating system?

Please let me know ASAP.
Then i can further assist you.

I am happy to help you.

Thanks,
Anudeep.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a Lexmark X1240 printer that was running fine on my Vista system. Now, it takes a very long time to print anything (4 hours to print a simple 1 page document).
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the computer, no help.
My Vista CPU usage gauge shows CPU is running 100%, but Task Manager says nothing is using the CPU.
Well.... If the usage is 100% it means there is a back ground activity/task that is running and consuming all of your CPU processing power.

Because of that nothing works on your computer as it should have worked.

The primary candidates that involve in this kind of CPU usage are Antivirus products and viruses.

Identify which application/process is using 100% CPU. once we know that we can find a way to get rid of it are bring it under control.

Anudeep.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Vista Sidebar has a gadget called CPU Usage, that shows 100% anytime there is a document in the printer cache.

However, if I open Vista Task Manager at the same time, nothing shows more than 20% on the CPU Processes tab, but the Performance Chart is at 100%

I suspect it is the Virus.

Which Anti Virus do you use?
You can update the Antivirus.

Anudeep.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

McAfee Virus Protection status says protection is enabled and it is up to date, Last scan was today, subscription expires March 2010

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even right now, I am trying to scan and print a copy of something, my CPU usage has gone up to 100%, but I am still able to send this!?!
Can you tell me what is the CPU usage for Svchost.exe process...?

There is a good posting that i can recommend to you. It is clear with screenshots and it is available here.

AnuDeep
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sandeep,

Sorry it took so long to get back with you, but something came up and I couldn't try this until today.

I followed the steps referenced, and the problem appears to be with the Spool SV.exe, PID: 1472; Services: Spooler (i.e., Print Spooler). I disabled the Spooler Service, and the CPU usage dropped immediately. So I think this is the problem, however...

My printer still does not print without the spooler. I will try to uninstall the printer (again) and try to reinstall it (again).

If that does not work (again), I would suspect a printer (hardware) problem. What do you think?

You are right.

The SpoolSV is a Microsoft Windows file stored in the c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32 directory that has the file description: Spooler SubSystem App. This file is responsible for how Microsoft Windows handles print and fax jobs on your computer.

This is caused when there are still printer jobs in the Windows spool. To manually remove these print jobs follow the below steps.

1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel double-click the Administrative Tools and then Services.
3. Within services locate Print Spooler and right-click it and select Stop.
4. Once this process has been stopped leave the windows open and open My Computer and browse the the below folder.
c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS
5. In this folder delete all the files. Once these spooled files have been deleted you can right-click the Print Spooler in the Services window and click Start to re-enable the service.

Also, please update your Antivirus and scan your system to see if there is any virus that has corrupted your spooler files.

This file is not a critical process and can be safely removed from the Task Manager to free up used memory. To do this in Task Manager highlight he spoolsv.exe process and click the End Process button.

Let me know how did it go.
If this helps, kindly give me positive feedback.
AnuDeep