Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I run 9.0 aol software on windows XP. Out of the blue my aol

Customer Question

I run 9.0 aol software on windows XP. Out of the blue my aol software freezes upon initializing. Internet explorer is working fine so the DSL line is connected.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.

First off, let's carry out a quick restore of your AOL software following the enlisted steps:

1. Right-click the AOL icon in your Windows system tray (at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, next to the clock).
2. Select System Information.
3. Click Utilities or AOL software.
4. Select Quick Restore and click Proceed or OK.
5. Click OK when prompted.

Restart AOL thereafter ...does this resolve the issue all right?

If it doesn't, please go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, then look for and use the 'AOL Uninstaller' to remove AOL accordingly.

Done that, download and reinstall the latest version of AOL using the following link:
http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/cdt.adp?532446

Check if the issue persists thereafter, try using the AOL 9.0VR version using the following link:
http://daol.aol.com/software/90vr

Let me know how you get on with the same.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when i do this at first the box with systems information comes up when I click on it it disappears
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
In that case, please go ahead and carry out the uninstall and reinstall of AOL following the steps I had provided ...keep me posted.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
uninstalled and installed doing the same thing. freezes upon initializing.
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Okay ..did you try downloading and using the AOL 9.0VR version as well, using the link I had provided?

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes thats the link i downloaded
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Okay ..now, please go to Start > All Programs > AOL > System Information; does the 'AOL System Information' window come up now?

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it doesn't come up in either place the start position or the lower righ hand tool bar
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Hmm ..that's strange; now, please boot up your system in safe mode (by tapping the F8 key at bootup until the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu comes up, and selecting the 'Safe Mode' option accordingly; logon to your account that way, and check if you are able to get the 'AOL System Information' window to open up all right in that mode.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>I got nothing in safe mode however when I rebooted it is letting me log on. I have logged on and off twice and I'm on. Don't know why. Ill accept since the problem is solved.</p><p>Thank you for your suggestions.</p>
Expert:  Barun replied 7 years ago.
Glad to hear that ...in all likelihood, it was the AOL reinstall which triggered the same to work all right once again, after restarting; thanks for using JustAnswer.

Regards