Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
669790

Why does my computer screen NOT light up when I start my computer

Customer Question

Why does my computer screen NOT light up when I start my computer? I must push the on/off button multiple times until the opening screen comes up.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Is this a laptop?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a regular Desktop PC Computer.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Is it an LCD or CRT monitor?
Is the screen very dim?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am ashamed to say that I don't know if my monitor is LCD or CRT !!

The screen is dim until it finally connects and then seems fine.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
If it is an LCD it will be flat and skinny. CRT monitors are wider and have a pertrusion in the back of the actual screen that you can see when looking at the top of it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My screen seems flat but has a minimal protusion when I look down from the top.

Does that help?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Yes thank you that would mean it is an LCD. Shine a flashlight on the screen and let me know if it brightens it up or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My screen is bright and fine now WITHOUT shining a flashlight.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok if it is only dim when first starting up it may be a loose cable.
Turn off the computer and disconnect the monitor cable from the monitor and computer. Then blow out all the connections with compressed air and reconnect it. Then turn the machine back on and let me know the results of doing this.

You can bookmark this page by pressing ctrl+D on the keyboard
Then use that bookmark in order to get back to me
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The dimness is NOT the problem. The opening screen will NOT turn on until I press the on/off button MANY times - up to 20 times!! Every time I press the on/off button, the opening screen FLASHES for a brief second and shuts off again, so I must keep repeating that until the screen opens and remains opened.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean the windows log on screen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The screen that says "WELCOME" which contains all the appropriate connections for everything else.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok try this and let me know the results
Once logged in click start and then run
Type cmd and then press the enter key
Then type this exactly as I have it including spaces
CHKDSK /f /r
Then press the enter key
When asked about a restart or reboot type Y and then press enter
Then click start and shut down, then choose to restart
Let the utility run and once it finishes let me know the results

Then use that bookmark to get back to me after restarting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did reply that your response did NOT help.

Dimness is NOT the problem. The problem is that the opening screen does NOT open and remain.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
What I gave you could fix that but I will opt out and let someone else answer this
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The issue is that when I log on I do NOT get a screen to enable me to finish the logging on. Nothing comes up. The screen is BLACK until I press the on/off button up to 20 times until it finally lights up and STAYS on!

Perhaps I must call in a tech to look at my computer.

Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
If the on and off button that you are pressing is the one on the display then the problem is that the backlights are going out on the display. They are driven by a voltage inverter and it can go bad also. The way to check this for sure is to use another display if you have one or you can take the one that is being difficult and hook it to another computer (even a lapto) and see if that shows the same problem. What is the make and model of the display or if it is a one piece set, what is the make and model ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not know how to do what you suggest so, unfortunately, I must call a Service Person to come to my home and check this out.

Sorry we could not resolve this together.

Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
You should take the unit in to avoid the cost of a service call! All that I wanted you to try was hooking up another monitor to the computer or hooking that monitor up to another computer. That was the test. THe thing that I asked you was what power button you have to press all the time? Was it the one on the monitor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the button I push is the one on the front of the monitor. So as not to lose the o pening page I did NOT shut off the computer last night. I don't know how much that will wear down my enire system, but this way I know I can see all my incoming emails.

Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.

There is no problem with leaving your computer on all the time. Unless you are very ecology minded. I have a computer that is 15 years old and has been on since I got it.

The problem that you are describing is caused by either the BULB in the monitor going bad OR the circuit board that sends the electricity to that BULB. The computer is fine. I would call around for bids on service rates for bulbs or INVERTERS. They might be more than the cost of a new monitor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Today is Sunday so tomorrow I will call around for a tech to come and check this out. Many thanks.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Okay, IT would be cheaper to take in to a shop though. Trip charges are not cheap.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As you have read, I was not able to receive a reply to help me fix my problem-----it still exists! I must look locally to fix this issue.

Thank you for trying.