Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience

my canon mp470 printer says it has a paper jam, even though

my canon mp470 printer says it has a paper jam, even though there isn't any paper in it and it won't clear
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 years ago.
OK, I think you should first try (just to get it out of the way) a hard reset of the printer.

To hard-reset it in generic fashion:
Turn the printer OFF. (Or if it won't turn off, just) Unplug the printer from the wall or power strip. Leave it that way for 10 minutes. Plug it back in. Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize. Try printing again.

Then, if that doesn't clear the error, you have to do this stuff:
A. open up the printer - all the hatches, all the doors, everything that can swing out or up. And also remove all the paper trays, and all the stacks of paper everywhere.
B. Look at everything (including the paper trays)... is there anything stuck anywhere? esp. in a sensor, esp. paper bits or dust. Is there anything broken anywhere? How about something (like, e.g. a swinging mini-lever or little switch-like thing, which might be a mechanical sensor) out of place, or jammed in an odd position? Correct what you find.
C. If your printer is an inkjet (rather than a laser printer), unplug it, with everything open, then turn it upside down (-don't do this with a laser, toner spills could happen inside and make things worse!-), and shake it - unless it's too heavy or you might drop it... in which case, get someone to help you, e.g. someone really big and strong.
If that eliminates or dislodges anything - paper bits, blocks of nameless hard stuff, or paper clips - then you may have cured the problem. Put the printer right-side-up, reattach all pieces and close all doors etc, plug it in, power it on, and see what it does.

If this helps with your problem and answers your question, by all means click Accept once for this call. Thanks.