B. Rath
B. Rath, IT Professional
Experience:  Certified support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

my computer will not let me click and drag anything

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.

The first thing we would want to do now is carry out a system restore by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then restoring your system back to a date and time prior to when started having the issue with clicking/dragging.

Done that, restart and check if this makes any difference to your issue ...if not, let me know so that I can follow up further.

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that does not help the problem. i read somewhere that this could be a an issue with XP, and maybe something needs to be done with the registry. any thoughts?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Hmm ..it's hard to determine what exactly is causing the issue without troubleshooting further, there being several possibilities for the same, i.e. mouse, corrupt system files/settings, malware, etc. However, could you clarify if nothing happens when you click on any icon?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TH computer is working perfectly fine in all other actions. All programs are running, mouse is working, etc. The only issue seems to be that i cannot click and drag things. For example - cant' click on a picture file and drag it to another folder, can't click on a desktop icon and drag somewhere else my desktop. That really seems to be the only issue.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Okay ...first off, please restart and press the F8 key at bootup in order to get to the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu,then logon to your account and check if the issue persists in this mode as well. Done that, let me know so that I can follow up further.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what mode are you referring to? Safe mode? I tried that and the problem continues. I also did an F8 and logged in to last known good setting and F8 log in normally. All had the same problem. Is there a way to restore XP default settings or something? What about something to do twith the registry? I though I read somewhere that this happens with XP occasionally and you need to retype your registry or something.   ANy other thoughts?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
For now, we don't know if your issue has anything to do with the registry, and tweaking with the same may wound up more issues than what we are facing presently. Now, I would like you to let me know the following info:

- Did you try with an external mouse if the issue still persists?
- Do you have a Windows XP installation disc with you?
- Have you already carried out the system restore, without success?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
system restore did not work.

i am working on a desktop - mouse is working.

i do not know where my windows XP installation disk is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fyi - i do have my windows XP installation disk.
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Okay ..what's the make and model of the mouse you are using? Also, did you try checking with another mouse?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a dell wireless mouse (and keyboard).

can i resinstall XP? will i lose data (pictures, music, etc.) if i do that?
Expert:  B. Rath replied 5 years ago.
Hmm ..I'm sure we will be able to find an easier resolution to the issue; now, the first thing you should try is to connect another mouse to your system and check if that works fine. If it does, it should an issue with your wireless mouse itself, which we will take up further in that case.

If that's not the issue, please download and install a freeware security program using the following link:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Run a full system scan using the program, and remove the security threats detected, if any. Check if the issue with the clicking/dragging still persists thereafter.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ran it, removed infected files...still not better. Thughts?