Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
383181

i dont have volume on my computer and cant figure out why

i don't have volume on my computer and can't figure out why not...my speakers are on and the volume control says it is half way thru to maximum....why can't i hear anything?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
xp firefox
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
You can restore it by your self byfollwing the steps:-

Click-->Start Button-->Programmes-->Accesories-->System tools-->System Restore after selecting it a window will be open click next and then select a date from the calender in or before which it was fine after that click next and follow the instruction the pc will restart once and check the problem is gone or not and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just restored my compter to an earlier date and now i don't have volume or internet access.....what should i do....i only can get onto the internet by going to seach and then internet questions.....very remote connection....but still no volume.....
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
Ok
Please undo the restore by following the same steps as you done to restore and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how will that give me back my volume? i really think it has something to do with my firefox internet connection.......
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
It may not but internet problem will be solved after that we can carry on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
internet problem is solved but still no volume......now what.....
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 years ago.
If possible please check the speakers with another pc and let me know.......
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the speakers are not the problem.....now what?
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
I will try to help you now.
Are you able to play any video files or mp3s.
just increase the volume and see the volume problem is happening only when using the firefox and trying to use players in firefox.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have no volume at all.....
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
The volume control function in Windows XP allows the user to adjust the settings relating to the various volume controls on the system. These include bass, balance and treble. In addition, volume control can be used to adjust other levels such as system sounds, microphones, CD players and wave output.
To Access Volume Control Functions:
  1. Start | All Programs | Accessories | Entertainment | Volume Control

2. Click on Options | Exit to close Volume Control
For additional information on how to use the Volume Control utility click the Help menu from within Volume Control.

Adjusting Additional System Volumes:
There are several volume control settings available in Windows XP. These settings allow the user to adjust and control the speaker, system and device volume on their systems. The procedures for accessing these controls are listed below.
Adjust the Speaker Volume:
  1. Access the Control Panel - Start | Control Panel

2. Click Sound, Speech and Audio Devices

3. Under Speaker Settings, select Volume Tab. Click on Speaker Volume

4. Adjust the slider bar for each speaker to desired sound level

5. Click on the Move all slide indicators at the same time to adjust each slider bar together

6. Click OK
Adjust Volume for Multimedia Devices:

3. Select Audio Tab and then Under Sound Playback click Volume

4. Adjust the Volume slider in the Master Out dialog box for the desired device

5. Click OK
Adjust System Volume Access:

3. Under Device Volume, select the Volume Tab

4. Adjust the slider to desired sound level

5. Click OK
Volume Control Icon:
One of the icons missing by default in the taskbar in Windows XP is the volume control icon. This icon can easily be added to the taskbar to make adjusting the system volume quick and easy.
Add Volume Control Icon to Taskbar:

3. Click on Sounds and Audio Devices

4. Click on Volume Tab

5. Check the Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar option

6. Click OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that doesn't solve the problem....i still don't have sound....
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
In control panel are you able to see any Sound and audio device control?
Do you remember at any point of time you installed a Audio drive?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i see the sound snd sudio control panel i don't remember installing an audio drive.....
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
Please tell me the company of your speakers in the laptop?
I will guide you to download the Audio driver for that company. you can try to install that and check.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i don't think it's the speakers i think its inside my computer.....
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
Yes you want to install the audio driver for your computer.And the driver varies to company to company.
Thats why I want to know the company.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
harmon/kardon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i downloaded the audio drives for my speakers and still don't have volume?????now what?
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
did you install that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes with no result
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
I am also opting out as all my solutions failed !!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now what.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have volume now but my monitor is now not working--no image....what do you suggest?

Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
Please tell me how the volume came back.Is any our answers useful?

Fot the montor try to connect an external monitor and see whether you are able to see anything on the screen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
for the volume, it was a disconnected wire onto the back of the computer.....i don't have an external monitor to connect to....my monitor was working a day ago....??????
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
First please double check the connections. are you able to hear any sound , I just want to know the harddisk is working or not. If possible get friend's monitor and try to connect that. If the monitor is showing up then only we can deside whether the problem is with your monitor or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am able to hear sound, but no picture......
Expert:  Bachi replied 5 years ago.
What sound you are able to hear?
Without seeing anything in the screen you will not able to play anything?
You are only able to hear the logging in sound?
If you don't have another monitor or you can't get another one from your neighbour or friend I think there is no point in continuing the disscussion. If you want i will opt out again.
If possible contact any local computer guy to get a check of your computer !!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dell 4300....i had picture a couple days ago....
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Please see this suggested list of troubleshooting steps available for your model system. This is from Dell support site and it is available here.

There is no apparent reason for me to think this is because of the following causes.
1. corrupt video drivers
2. virus attack
3. faulty monitor
4. loose monitor cables

Let me know if any of the suggested actions helped you.
AnuDeep
Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
Thanks very much for accepting my suggestion, Bruce.

By accepting my answer, i understand that you are satisfied with my answer. And thanks a bunch for the generous bonus you gave me.

And I request you to kindly give me positive feed back. Please share your feedback there since you know that whatever you submit there, improves my ratings.

More than the money i would love to see that the customer is satisfied and happy.
Before we can close this question are you sure your problem is totally solved? If so, you can close this question.

You can get back to me on this same query. I will be happy to assist you.
I would love to help you in future, in case you need my help anytime.

Thanks,
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will let you know if my screen works.....
Fair enough...

I will await your response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my screen is working now.....
Thats great...!!!

Kindly leave positive feed back for me. Please share your feedback there since you know that whatever you submit there, improves my ratings.

AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cool thanks
Customer

Can i close this question from my end...?
I guess then the feedback section would come up for you.

AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm all set for now....thank you....
Well, <br /><br />Thanks a lot for your time and hope to help you in future.<br /><br />AnuDeep