Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience

How do I reset the bios password on a Toshiba A60 I have a

Customer Question

How do I reset the bios password XXXXX a Toshiba A60? I have a tool that did it for an A10.
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Most likely the tool you used for the A10 was the parallel port tool correct?

Try the CMOS password XXXXX utility located at the link below:

Let me know if you need assistance with running the tool.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I downloaded that keydisc.exe but what use is it if I cannot boot the laptop?

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

The keydisk application actually writes a hex code change to the bootsector of boot device such as a floppy that tells the laptop to reset the password. You can also build a keydisk by using a hex editor to change the first five bytes of the second sector (the one after the boot sector) and set them to 4B 45 59 00 00 (note that the first three bytes are the ASCII for "KEY" : ) followed by two zeroes). Once you have created the key disk put it into the notebook's drive or port if it can boot from USB and turn it on, then push the reset button and when asked for password, press Enter. You will be asked to Set Password XXXXX Press Y and Enter. You'll enter the BIOS configuration where you can set a new password.

Another way to do this is to make the Toshiba password XXXXX loopback device - see the instructions at the link below:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Now that is the problem, it will not boot as it asks for the password XXXXX I tried holding

F12 down when I turned the laptop on but it goes straight to the password XXXXX

Now what?

Julian Steele

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

So it does not access any of the boot devices first?

Then next would be the option to build the parallel port reset device according to the instructions in the link above. You can also find the same for sale on the net such as on Ebay or build your own:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The parallel loopback device appears to be the same as the one I made previously and does not work, but does on an A10.

Julian Steele

Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.
And can you confirm that it does not access any boot devices before asking for a password (such as USB or CD)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I even tried putting system disc in but it goes straight to wanting a password XXXXX it will boot!
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.
Ok, at this point I am going to opt out so that another expert that may have additional ideas can assist you.
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to continue with you.

This Toshiba bios password XXXXX process is meant for use on Toshiba laptops that you own or have had permission from the rightful owner to remove the password. If any of these processes are done incorrectly it may result in complete system failure or permanent system damage (you've been warned, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, you may want to take it to a shop!).

Some Toshiba bios passwords can be reset using the Key Disk.exe utility, to do this you need a 1.44Mb floppy disk. Format the disk using Windows and then with a hex editor, change the first five bytes of the second sector to 4B 45 59 00 00.

Then put the floppy into your machine and boot it up, you'll be asked for a password, just press Enter. Then when you're asked to set the password, type Y then Enter, this will get you into the bios configuration where you can then type in a new password.

Aside from the KeyDisk, you can build a parallel Loopback plug, this is a simple device that plugs into the parallel port of the machine and removes the password XXXXX you boot it up.

To make it you will need a 25 pin DB25 plug, take the plug apart and join these pins using some old cable;
Pins: 1-5-10, 2-11, 3-17, 4-12, 6-16, 7-13, 8-14, 9-15, and 18-25

BD25 Loopback Configuration

Plug it into your parallel port and boot up your machine, the password XXXXX be removed as soon as it boots.

Note: This will work on majority of older Toshiba's (1995 – 2002) and obviously only ones that have a parallel port.

You can also take the laptop apart and do the following:

TE2300 Motherboard

Satellite A60
  1. Open Wi-Fi slot cover
  2. Lift up black plastic
  3. Locate & short C561 Pin 1 & 2 together
  4. Power on machine while still shorting Pin 1 & 2
  5. As soon as the TOSHIBA logo appears, remove short

6. If machine boots, password XXXXX been removed
~Hope this helps~
~~If you need more assistance in the future please let me know~~

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have a plug wired up as above and it does not work.Can not boot the machine from anything as it goes straight to password XXXXX before booting. That photo is not an

A60 motherboard but a TE 2300 .

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, sorry my solution didn't work. I will opt-out so that another expert can view your question.

~~Another expert should be with your shortly~~