David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience

My gateway computer will not accept my password. The cursor

Customer Question

My gateway computer will not accept my password. The cursor just sits there like I did not type anything. It will however let me type in the space where the user name is
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Reboot your computer and at the Windows XP progress bar press F8 and in the menu that appears select Safe Mode with Networking. Once it boots into Safe Mode try again to login and if successful then click Start, My Computer, then right click drive C: and select Properties, then click the Tools tab then click the Check Now button, and in the box that appears, click to check mark the top box and then click Start. When it asks if you want to run the scan on reboot select Yes then Ok then reboot.

After reboot try logging in again. If you still cannot login then reboot again into Safe Mode with Networking and perform a System Restore to roll back your system configuration to a date before the issue occurred:

1. Click the Start button, then click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, enter the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

3. Follow the prompts to restore your system settings to a time before the issue occurred.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
David, unfortunately computer will not go beyond the login . The message I receive states: The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name & domain are correct, tehn type your password XXXXX Letters in password XXXXX be typed using correct case. Do you see my problem?
Expert:  David L replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I was hoping that if something was blocking your abilty to login that running in Safe Mode would resolve the issue. It sounds like you are completely unable to login almost as if you lost your password.

Next, repeat the shutdown and then boot and login at least 5 times and let me know if one of them lets you login. One of the characteristics of this issue is that sometimes you can login after rebooting a few times. Please note that you need to shutdown completely and then start and reboot.

If on one of the attempts you are able to login, then click Start, Run and type CMD and press Enter. On the command line type:

regsvr32 shgina.dll

Next, click Start, then Control Panel then Add or Remove programs and check the box to show Windows Updates. Find the Kb923191 update in the list and click on it then click Remove.