Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My iPhone has stopped sending e-mail messages. A message comes

Customer Question

My iPhone has stopped sending e-mail messages. A message comes up saying the sender is invalid. I took the phone back to the AT&T store where I bought it. They say the accounts are set up properly. I have 3 mail boxes set up to receive and send e-mail. My provider is Comcast. I don't know if you need to have the e-mail accounts but will include them just in case you do: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
The incoming mail server is set up for mail.comcast.net

I entered the comcast password XXXXX each mailbox addresss which allows me to go online with another computer and check e-mail from each account.

I bought the iPhone so that I didn't have to subscribe to an online service for my laptop computer so the loss of e-mail abilities is a real problem for me.

Thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

What is your SMTP outgoing mail server address set at? You can find this on the iPhone by going to Settings>Mail

Thanks!

Ryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
smtp.comcast.net
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Great, thanks!

Now can you please click on Advanced and tell me what your settings for the following:

Use SSL:
Authentication:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure I have anything entered although there is a check mark next to password
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Can you turn SSL on and test again please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to SSL. It is on
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, try to send an email with THAT account. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same message as before - Cannot Send Mail
The sender address was invalid
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, lets change some things.

Change your settings to the following:

Host Name:
smtp.comcast.net:465

User Name:
Your Comcast mail user name (without the @comcast.net)

Password:
Your Comcast mail password

Under the advanced tab:
Outgoing Uses SSL is ON
Authentication is set to Password

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, done
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, and lets test it again by sending an email
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same message as before. sender address was invalid
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, do you remember when you first setup the mailbox,
did you choose IMAP or POP? When you setup a mailbox, it automatically selects IMAP, comcast will need to be POP. I included a screenshot, If in doubt, delete your mail boxes and we will start from scratch.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I looked at the screen which says POP Account Information.    

I have only had the phone less than two months and sending e-mail worked at first but stopped 2 weeks ago while I was away from home.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the newest OS 3.0 software installed on your iPhone?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I updated on the computer this afternoon.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
I don't really know what else to try with you unfortunately. I do know that you are not the only one with this comcast problem, reports are all over the internet with various degrees of success figuring out the problem. I'm going to Opt out of the question and open it up to other experts in hope we can find you an answer. Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I check back with you Just Answer again or do you have some advice for me to approach comcast for an answer to the problem? I would appreciate any advice you can give me to get an answer from Comcast.

Thank you
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Comcast might have some answer for you, tell them you have an iphone and you need the correct mail settings for you device. I am sure they hear it enough everyday with the amount of iPhones there are floating around now. Also, If you can log in on your computer to your comcast website account, and click on help, you can search for help documents for "iPhone" (I wasnt able to search because I don't have comcast and couldnt log in) These are the only things I can suggest for you. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I really do appreciate your efforts.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
No problem! Good luck!!