Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
383181

My computer won't install programs

Customer Question

Computer will not allow me to install any new software, and the CD player has stopped reading discs.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.

What version of windows are you using?

Does the disc drive show up in computer?

Do you get any errors and if you do what is the exact error?

What have you already tried?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The disc drive shows up.

Windows XP sp3

No error, just does not auto run the CD, and you cannot make it manually run.

I tried loading the program off of a thumb drive; and I was able to put the software on the desktop and run the installation software! It would not finish (trying to install a new printer)

I Uninstalled the ACER software, which according to several sites has caused problems. Uninstalled and reinstalled the CD drive.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.

What model printer is it?

Are you logged in as administrator?

Did it give an error when it wouldn't finish?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Brother 290c

No error, it just stops. Windows says it finds the new printer but then nothing happens.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.

Windows may have automatically installed it. Click on the start button then on the printers to see if the printer is listed there.
If it is right click on it and click on set as default, then try to print from something.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Windows did not install it; it does not show up in the printers. The CD did not run, so I had to use a thumb drive to put the printer software on the computer. Window said the hardware was installed but not properly.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, download and install revo uninstaller from here: Click Here
Then uninstall the printer and any software if it show up in that with it
Then download and install the driver from here: Click Here
Then restart the computer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The printer software will not fully install, the reason is. I cannot install the software on the computer. This problem started when the CD player stopped working

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 5 years ago.

From the above discussion, I understand that, your cd player (I guess, you meant your CD-ROM drive) stopped working.
- then you could not install any software on to your computer
- you tried in install the brother mfc-290 printer and windows failed to do that.

It seems to me that Auto run is disabling on your machine.

1. Open Windows® Explorer.
  2. Right-click on the CD-ROM drives and chooses to Open.
  3. Then Double click on start.exe file in the root folder of the Brother CD-ROM.
  4. The CD-ROM installation screen will then be displayed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The CD-ROM drive shows as if nothing is there. That was one of the first things I tried.

Test if the CD-ROM drive is working by using another cd disc in it. If it is also not shown, then your CD ROM Drive is dead. Get it replaced.

In case the drive works with other CDs, the Brother CD disc is gone. Get the latest drivers from the internet.

For Windows XP Professional 32-bit OS, Drivers/Software are here.
For Windows XP Professional 64-bit OS, Drivers/Software are here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Let’s assume the drive is dead; I downloaded the software onto a thumb drive from brother. I put the software on the computer and ran the installation software. The software seems to install correctly, then when it prompts me to plug the printer in. The computer see's the printer and boom looks like the printer is installed. But the software never completes its installation. According to the screen prompt, the software should continue on its own with no prompting (have let set for 24 hours). Cancelled software installation, the printer goes away.

Do you have any antivirus running on your PC?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, AVG.

In most cases, the antivirus software might be interrupting the driver’s installation mistaking the drivers to be virus/malware, which actually try to go into system folders or modify/update certain key system files which are protected by the Anti-virus.

Please uninstall the AVG antivirus then install the drivers. Once driver installation is done and the Brother printer is properly configured and working without a flaw, you can always install the updated AVG antivirus.

Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Were are you located?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Did you get a chance to uninstall the AVG antivirus then install the drivers?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.