Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
383181

Computer will not allow me to install any new software, and

Customer Question

Computer will not allow me to install any new software, and the CD player has stopped reading discs
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
What version of windows are you using?
Does the disc drive show up in computer?
Do you get any errors and if you do what is the exact error?
What have you already tried?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The disc drive shows up.

Windows xp sp3.

No error, just does not auto run the CD, and you can not make it manually run.

Tried loading the program off a thumb drive. Was able to put the software on the desktop and run the installation software. Would not finish (trying to install a new printer)

Unistalled the ACER software, which according to several sites has caused problems. Uninstalled and reinstalled the CD drive.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
What model printer is it?
Are you logged in as administrator?
Did it give an error when it wouldn't finish?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Brother 290c

There is not admin, I'm the only user

No error, it just stops. Windows says it finds the new printer but then nothing happens.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Windows may have automatically installed it
Click start and then printers
See if the printer is listed there
If it is right click on it and click on set as default
Then try to print from something and let me know the results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Windows did not install it, it does not show up in the printers. The CD did not run, so I had to use a thumb drive to put the printer software on the computer. Window said the hardware was installed but not properly.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok download and install revo uninstaller from here: Click Here
Then uninstall the printer and any software if it show up in that with it
Then download and install the driver from here: Click Here
Then restart the computer and please let me know the results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The printer software will not fully install, the reason is. I can not install the software on the computer. This problem started when the CD player stoped working

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok I am going to have to opt out and let other experts answer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bman,

From the above discussion, i understand that,

- your cd player (i guess, you meant your CD-ROM drive) stopped working.
- then you could not install any software on to your computer
- you tried in install the brother mfc-290 printer and windows failed to do that.

It seems to me that Autorun is disable on your machine.
  1. Open Windows® Explorer.
  2. Right-click on the CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
  3. Then Double click on start.exe file in the root folder of the Brother CD-ROM.
  4. The CD-ROM installation screen will then be displayed.

Let me know if this worked for you.
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The CD-rom drive shows as if nothing is there. That was one of the first things I tried.
Test if the CDROM drive is working by using another cd disc in it. If it is also not shown, then your CD ROM Drive is dead. Get it replaced.

In case the drive works with other CDs, the Brother CD disc is gone. Get the latest drivers from the internet.

For Windows XP Professinal 32-bit OS, Drivers/Software are here.
For Windows XP Professinal 64-bit OS, Drivers/Software are here.

Let me know if this helped you.
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let assume the drive is dead, I downloaded the software onto a thumbdrive from brother. I put the software on the computer and ran the installation software. The software seems to install correctly, then when it prompts me to plug the printer in. The computer see's the printer and boom looks like the printer is installed. But the software never completes it's installation. According to the screen promt, the software should continue on it's own with no prompting (have let set for 24 hours). Cancelled software installation, the printer goes away.
Do you have any antivirus running on your PC...?
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, AVG.
In most cases, the antivirus software might be interrupting the drivers installation mistaking the drivers to be virus/malware, which actually try to go into system folders or modify/update certain key system files which are protected by the Anti-virus.

Please uninstall the AVG antivirus then install the drivers. Once driver installation is done and the Brother printer is properly configured and working without a flaw, you can always install the updated AVG antivirus.

Please get back to me with your results.
AnuDeep

Experience: Bachelors in Electronics and Proficient in troubleshooting Computer-related problems
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, it will have to be on monday
Well... Take your time.
Even it is 2 in the morning.

Catch you tomorrow.
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NP, were are you located?
That is supposed to be kept a secret on Just Answer.

Good Day for you, if it is day.
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, NP
Did you get a chance to uninstall the AVG antivirus then install the drivers....?

Please let me know.
AnuDeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I have been out sick. I'm going to accept and hope it works. Thanks, Bruce
I am sorry to know about your ill health. I hope you will recover as quick as possible.

And, Thanks very much for accepting my suggestion, Bruce.

By accepting my answer, i understand that you are satisfied with my answer.
If you are really satisfied and able to solve your problem i appreciate if you can give me a bonus.

And I request you to kindly give me positive feed back. There is a separate section on this site which deals with Feedback. It is at the top right-hand side on your screen.
If you click on it, it would allow you to leave a feedback (Positive, Neutral, Negative) for me and any comments you have.

Please share your feedback there since whatever you submit there improves my ratings.

More than the money i would love to see that the customer is satisfied and happy.
Before we can close this question are you sure your problem is totally solved? If so, you can close this question.

You can get back to me on this same query using the url of this page. I will be happy to assist you.
I would love to help you in future, in case you need my help anytime.

Thanks,
AnuDeep