Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

I want to know why i can not get into yahoo games

Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer~!~Smile

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. Could you plesae tell me what exactly happens when you try to access Yahoo Games? How far can you get, can you get logged it just can't play the games?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I get into yahoo games but tthere is no list of player names it is blank. it just says done on the left hand bottom corner, i can't even see the icon to play or create a table, nothing!
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Source:

If the problems you're experiencing with Yahoo! Games include:
  • getting a blank screen
  • nothing occurring when you try to join a table
  • any similar problem

You need to double-check that Java and JavaScript are fully enabled in your browser. Follow the steps below for your browser:

1. Click "Tools" in the menu bar, and then select "Internet Options."
  2. Click the "Security" tab. For the Internet zone, be sure that the Security level is set to "Medium" or below. (If you've chosen to customize your security settings for the Internet zone, be sure that under the Java heading, "Java permissions" is not set to "Disable Java." You'll want to select one of the three safety levels instead. Also be sure that under the Scripting heading, "Scripting of Java Applets" is set to "Enable" or "Prompt.")
  3. Next, click the "Advanced" tab.
  4. Scroll down until you see the subheading "Java VM."
  5. Check the boxes next to "Java logging enabled" and "Java console enabled." (Note: If you checked the box next to "Java JIT compiler enabled" and are experiencing freezing problems, uncheck that box.)
Note to Windows XP users

By default, the Windows XP operating system comes with the Internet Explorer 6 browser without the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed, which is required to run Java programs such as Yahoo! Games.

If you install Windows XP over an existing installation of Windows that already has Internet Explorer with a JVM installed, then you should be able to play just fine.

If you do not have JVM you have the option to download Sun's Java plug-in by visiting the link below:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/auto_install.jsp

Sun is the creator of Java, and their plug-in will allow you to play Yahoo! Games.

Hope this helps, if you need more assistance please let me knowSmile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried to install Java but it said the download failed, do you think I already have Java?
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Please click on the link below and it will test to see if you have java enabled. Once you click on the link scroll down and wait for it to fully load. The page will test to see if Java is working on your computer. This test applet, written with Java technology, displays information about your operating system, the JVM and the Java version. If you can see the dancing Duke logo image animated in the applet above, then Java is functioning correctly. If your applet is not displaying properly, you will need to click the links below on the page to check additional configurations.

Please click the link below to run this test:
-->http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml<--

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I enable Java in my web browser as it said, it already was there. so now what do i do, there was nodancing Duke, lol .... so i did as it said
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Alright you did everything that it said as far as the following:
  1. Enable Java through your Web browser
  2. Enable Java through the "Java Plug-in Control Panel"
  3. Clearing your Web Browser Cache
Now run the test again and see if it passes, as long as all of the stuff above has been done then it should pass. If it still doesn't pass then restart your computer and try it again. If it still doens't pass then we have to look into a couple other things, just let me know and we will continue to troubleshoot. We mayneed to uninstall Java and re-install it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry, now i can not get in, it says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage for the game. It did go to the page for yahoo games, which were listed then i tried dominoes, and the above came up, I did exacly as it told me in the 3 steps for Java thru to the Web Browser Cache, I even restarted the computer, I am so confused!!
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.

Alright thank you for the quick reply, sorry for my delayed response as it is hard for me to get to a computer during the weekend.

How are things going still, are you still encountering that problem? About how long ago was this working for you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, things are not any better. I have been encountering this problem for about a week and a half, we had to reinstall MSN Dial-up because it just started to act up on us, we called MSN to send us a disc, which they did. During that time I could not get into the games in Internet Explorer, but previously I could get into MSN Explorer, now I can't get into the games in that either. Also now I can not sign into the games with my ID or password, though I have changed my password XXXXX We have McAfee Security, we live in a remote area where we can only get dial up. Sorry I also went off libe the other night cause it was getting late. Hopefully you can help me, Thank you!
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the quick reply, it is late here so i won't be on long, I will be back bright and early in the morning though and I will work with you all week if I need tooSmile

Could you please tell me when did you start encoutering these problem where you can't play games? Was it just recently? Has anything new been added to the comuter recently or any updates been installed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alright and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wanted to mention that my husband said it could be because the computer does not want to accept the cookies? I will be on here tomorrow. I can not remember the date when we started having problems but it could be about a week an a half ago, and we had to reinstall Internet Explorer the other day after my husband reinstalled MSN. The games which I play are in yahoo, they are dominoes and literati. The problem started when I tried to get into the games and then later MSN completely shut down, then as I said they sent us the disc, which made it possible for us to log in. I hope you can help us, because MSN said we would have to pay about $100 for them to help us, which we don't have the finances to do so. Thank you, Ryan!
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you again for the reply. As long as you have the security level set to medium under your internet options then you should have cookies enabled. There is one more thing to check into though related to cookies. Please do the following:

• Open Internet Explorer Click "Tools" at the top in the menu bar, and then select "Internet Options."
  • Click the privacy tab at the top and make sure it's set to default(that means the default button is greyed out) the level should be set to Medium. Then push ok and see if you are still experiencing the problem
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Sorry i can not get into it, it keeps saying to "verify your password" which i did three times. I did what you told me to do.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    what is asking you to verify your password? Your games page or internet options?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Yahoo game page.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright thank you for the quick reply. So your Yahoo pages keeps asking you to verify your Passoword? Does it ask for that when trying to access a game or when trying to login to games?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Good mornimg Ryan, it does that when trying to login to games, the odd thing is, I can get into my mail in yahoo and I found out last night that I can get into MSN games. lol
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright thank you for the reply. As soon as you enter your password XXXXX it pop right up again like as if you entered the wrong password? Did you verify the cookie settings, was it set to medium? Have you restarted your computer since last night?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    It pauses a bit then it comes back up to ask me to verify my password, and yes it is @ medium, yes i turned the computer off after i was finished and restarted again this morning.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Well that just doesn't make much since. Could you please tell me what version of Internet Explorer you are using, is it the latest version 8.0? You can find this out by opening Internet Explorer then clicking help at the top and then About Internet Explorer.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Yes it is the latest version 8.0
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright thank you for the quick reply.

Please do the following and let me know the results.

1) Click start
    2) Click all programs
    3) Click accessories
    4) Click system tools
    5) Click "Internet Explorer No Add-ons" then the browser should open
    6) Try to go to yahoo games and let me know what happens.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    It sayson the left had corner "Add-ons disabled" In the middle it says "Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons". Then it gives instructions on the page
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright thats what it is suppose to do when you open up the browser at first, but does it continue to do that when you go to the yahoo games page? Have you thought about trying a different browser?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    yes it is continuing to do the same, what browser would you suggest we use?
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    The problem might be related to Internet Explorer 8 since it's new and still a little buggy. Click on the link below and try to download Firefox and see if you are able to do what you want to do then.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.5&os=win&lang=en-US
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried to download it but it said it was corrupted. now what?

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Really, it said it was corrupt? How far into the download did it get?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    As far as the security warning
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright please try this.

Click the link below and then click on FIREFOX 3.5 FREE DOWNLOAD then attempt to download it and let me know if it works.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html?from=getfirefox
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Ok I have downloaded it again and this time i went click to trust Mozilla, now it wants me to select the home page i want to us---which are : Firefox serach, a fast homepage with built in search or Import your homepage to Internet Explorer, what do I do?
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    import your home page
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Ok I did now what?
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright now try and go to yahoo games and let me know what happens.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thank you I got in but it says at the top that:Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page, then there is click buttons which says "Install Missing Plugins" do I click it?
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    yup you are correct,you will need to click on that and it will walk you through installing it. Smile

If you don't understand how to install it I will walk you through it, just let me know
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Alright, please help me walk thru installing it, but one problem i am having is that it says something about pop ups--i am in the room but I can not get a game table or go to a table.

Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright to allow popups from games.yahoo.com please do the following:

1) Open Firefox
    2) Click tools at the top then click options
    3) Click the Content tab at the top
    4) Click Exceptions next to Block pop-up windows then type in games.yahoo.com then click allow then click ok and you should be set there.

Now for the plugin. could you please tell me when you click on "install missing Plugin" what plugin does it say is missing, is it Adobe Flash Player or Macromedia player?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Sorry it didn't say, I click it and it goes away
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Do you get a window that looks like below?
    http://deshnilesh.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/firefox_manual_install.jpg
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I think so but it doesn't come up anymore,I think i missed it, sorry
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Close out of Yahoo Games, and then go back into it and see if you can get it to come back up. If you can then click on Manual Install and let me know what you see.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I am so stupid, where is Manual Install? I am in yahoo games but I don;t see it
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    It would be located on that bar that pops up accross the top that says Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page, then there is click buttons which says "Install Missing Plugins"

Like the image below:
    http://banagale.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/missin1.JPG
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry there is nothing like that. i have clicked Install missing plugins, then it disappears, nothing else comes up

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I went back to Yahoo games again and this time Available plugin downloada came up and it is showing Adobe Flash Player, on the bottom it says "next" and "cancel"
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    click next
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    ok what came up on the page is Adobe Flash Player Not availablr and then a box that says "Manual Install" then on the bottom it says in blue "Find out more about plugins or manual find missing plugins" then on the bottom right it say Finish, now whish do i click
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    alright click manual install then it will take you to the adobe page and you should see a download now buttin please click on it to install the flash player
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    `Its has downloaded now it says on the right hand corner "Cler List" do I click it? Ryan I have to go real soon to a meeting, can we continue this tomorrow?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Ryan I have to go, sorry, i went ahead and clicked clear list. Hopefully I will get in contact with you tomorrow, Thank you!
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Very sorry for my Delay as I work from 8-4:30 and am next to a computer that whole time but after that it's hard to get near a computer till later in the night. After you got that downloaded did you get it installed as well?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Hi Ryan, no problem, I think I did get it installed, I was in a hurry to get to the meeting. I can get into the game rooms but not into the games, it still does not come, it shows i create a table, but as I said the table doesn't come up. Oh by the way my husband likes Firefox better than Internet Explorer, thank you.Smile
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Thank you for the reply, Glad to hear he likes firefox, I enjoy it a lot as well it's my browser of choice, much fast and less buggy then Internet Explorer.

Alright back down to business Smile

Let see here, When you Click download now and it got downloaded then the window appeared that showed it was downloaded, before clicking on clear list did you double click on adobe flash player in the list to open it up to begin the install or no, if not we may need to try it again.

Too watch a video on how to install adobe flash player in firefox please click the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hMcPsmy8c
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    ok now I remember, it shows the downloads, and it has on there "install_flash_player (3), exe. 1.8 MB - macmedia.com" & also "install_flash_player (2). exe. 1.8 MB - macmedia.com" then on the lower left corner is "Clear List" and I am now installing Adobe Flash Player.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright awesome, glad we got the install going Smile

Keep me posted on what happens after the install.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Alright it has completed the installation, now do I click clear list or not?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Ryan, are you there? I tried to get into a table but what came up was "Could not open table window. Please set your browser to allow pop-ups for this site and try again." So how do I do that? Also do I click "clear list" on the downloads?
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Alright thank you for the reply, Yes you can now clear the list as the software has been installed and it's not needed in the list anymore

Now for the popups. Please do the following:

Step 1: Select Tools from the Mozilla Firefox taskbar.

Step 2: Select Options from the drop-down menu.

Step 3:
    Select Content from the Options dialog box.

Step 4:
    To enable pop-up windows for specific Web sites(yahoo games), select the Exceptions button across from the "Block pop-up windows" option.

Step 5: To allow pop-up windows from Yahoo Games please type in games.yahoo.com in the white box under "address of website".

Step 6: Select Allow from the Allowed Sites - Pop-ups dialog box.

Step 7: Select Close.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Alright i did it but its still comes up the same when i tried to go to the game table.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Can you follow the steps below and add a screenshot for me so I can see what it looks like that you are getting. To do a screenshot just push print screen on your keyboard and then open paint and paste it in there then save it to your desktop then to post it to me do the following:
    Quote Tammy Replybullet Posted: Aug 27 2008 at 9:03am
    And one for adding photos:

graphic

There is no reason why the Firefox browser should not be working. Do you see anything at the top of the browser that says options then if you click on it says allow popups?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I tried to copy the page to paint like you said, but I got no reaction when I hit print screen and tried to paste it on paint. The appelate alweays comes up to allow popups. Which I have done repeatedly.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Can We continue this tommorow afternoon? There are some things we have to do this evening and tomorrow we go to albuquerque.
    Thank you for your help.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    When you try to go into yahoo games now what exactly happens? Do you get that thing popping up still saying you need additional plug-ins, does anything popup. Tell me everything so that I can give you the best assistnace possible because at this piont i'm confused as to why it isn't working.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Hi Ryan, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX confused too. Yes that thing in the game still; pops up saying I need plug-ins, I click install and it disappars, then this pops up "Additional plug-ins are required to display all the media on this page" then in the middle it says "attempting to pop up table window" then Alert comes up with "Could not open table window. Please set your browser to allow pop-ups for this site and try again." I forgot to mention that i go in there thru www.shove-it.com/yahoo-literati, do you think that might be it, that I need to add that to the browser? Sorry i had to leave earlier, i was getting a headache from all the confusion.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Hello again, welcome back, thank you for the reply. Going in through the backdoor site shouldn't cause an issue, but just in case why don't you add that to the list of appoved popups as well like we did with games.yahoo.com. Once you have done that try and access your game.

Also click on the link below to run the Java Test again, and if it doesn't say congratulations then you will have to follow the steps to install the latest version.

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    How did that Java Test go?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    It wasn't as successful, it said something about not loading it because of no response, but it was beginning to do it and stopped. What about us contiuing this tomorrow because we have to go to a meeting this afternoon and won't be back till late tonight. Anyway, I don't have to go into games now, lol. It can wait! Also in the mean time my husband said he might just delete Java and then install the latest version, so I will wait for him to do that and then get back to you sometime tomorrow, alright?Smile
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Ok sounds good, yea that might be the best bet is to remove the old version and install the update, does he know how to do that?

Keep me posted!
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Yes, I believe he does, but just in case, tell me how. Thank you again.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    o uninstall Java from your system, use the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
    1. Click Start
    2. Select Settings
    3. Select Control Panel
    4. Double click the Add/Remove Programs control panel icon
    5. The Add/Remove control panel displays a list of software on your system, including any Java software products that are on your computer. Select any that you want to uninstall by clicking on it, and then click the Remove button.
    Add/Remove Control Panel: Remove Java Runtime Environment
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I can't download Java. When I try, first it said server has timed out no mater how fast I click on it. Then shortly after that I get a message that the download has failed. I have tried this several times with the same results. I did remove java from my computer.
    Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
    wow that is strange. Please Click the link below and let me know if you encounter the same problem.

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=32267
    Ryan B., Support Specialist
    Experience: Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    The same thing just happened. I tried to go online in safe mode and also shut my firewall down. I always come up with the same results.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Thank you again for the quick reply. To be honest i'm not sure what the issue is here. I'm going to have to opt-out and let another expert take a look at your question to see if they have anymore solutions.

~~Another expert should be with you shortly~~
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Hi Ryan, well it seems like no one has contacted us, and it is now Monday July 20. But I just want to say "thank you", maybe one of these days we will figure out what the problem is.
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Hey Chickadee, i'm very sorry that no one else has contacted you. Let me see if I can contact another expert that maybe able to help you.
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Alright thank you again!
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Hi Ryan, I thought I would let you know we got it fixed, even though no one else has contacted us from justanswer. We had to get hold of Dell and had to get charged $135.00 for it, but I truly want to "Thank you" for your help, May God bless and keep you. Your friend Chickadee
    Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
    Hey I'm very glad to hear thta the issue has been resolved. I'm sorry that I could not get it resolved for you. What did the tech have to do for you to get it working? I'm also sorry that no on eelse contacted you, I passed your question to a couple other experts.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

If you need more assistance in the future please let me know

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY