Ask Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert Y...

Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert, One of JA's top 10 Computer Experts
Experience:  One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback
283538

What can i do if my acer aspire m1100 will not boot

Customer Question

What can i do if my acer aspire m1100 will not boot?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is it doing, is it beeping?

ok I seen your note after the last inquire, When you boot, does it look like the HDD Light is flashing, like it might be booting, just not showing on your screen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, when I turn on the PC, the only sound it makes is the disk drive loading, then nothing follows. My screen is not coming on because there is no signal transmitting form the tower. All power cords are plugged in and working properly. However, it will not boot. Only light shown, is the power button.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,
Ok, let's take a look at this;

This is my first thought's, you may have a loose stick of memory or a bad stick; I would shut down everything, unplug it, then open the case. Flip flop the ram, then if that doesn't work, try removing one, then try to boot, again if that still doesn't work, flip the memory using the one you pulled.

Understand if this is a New computer it may still be under warranty, if you attempt to do this, it may cause your warranty to be void. If it is under warranty, you should have them do the work for you

If you need more help Let me know

Have another Question?

I am also an Expert in the following areas, please feel free to bookmark them all, then simply return to the proper profile and ask me another question;

Appliances.... Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman

Computer... Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert

Entertainment... Michael L..JA Entertainment Tonight

General Questions... Michael L...JA General Topic Expert

Home Improvement... Michael L...........JA Construction

Homework... Michael L.....JA Classroom Help 101

Plumbing... Michael L.......JA Plumbing Repair

Remember to type somewhere in the question, this is for Michael L.

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Michael, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I checked all memory and hard drives to make sure they were not loose and it still did not come on. What about the BOOT DISK question that I asked you? Will that work?

If you aren't getting it to boot, It might not make it that far. It sounds like it is failing midstream. If it does go that far, it shouldn't hurt as long as it is a current version.

Do you have a Recovery disk, or XP Disk?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I mentioned before, I do not have a start up disk, recovery disk or boot disk of any kind. I wanted to know where can I get one if needed. I'm using the Windows Vista Home OS that came on the system. No disk where in the box with the PC when purchased. I had to make my own recovery disk which I can not locate now.

Failing Midstream? What do you mean "not make it far?" Is the PC not worth the repairs?

Means that it just stops booting, again this would be caused by a hardware issue, and most likely a boot disk will not help.

Your computer is still good, so we just need to find you a disk. I have a link to a website, but it doesn't show a Vista Boot disk, you might contact them to see if they have one ready. But, If you know anyone with a Vista disk, you can try to boot with theirs. Then this will test the theory if it is a hardware issue.

Another thought would be to try to clear the cmos, again don't try this if you are not sure, it can fry a board. But you should have a jumper or BIOS Battery you can remove to clear the cmos, once you have done that, try to reboot.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you clear it without frying the board? by removing the BIOS battery?Or will removing the battery fry it? I dont understand.

I guess i'll have to purchase a boot disk from acer. just wanted to know, if i do insert a boot disk will the files and software on my pc be lost?
thank you