Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware

Dell Inspiron 530 wont boot past the logo screen. When I

Dell Inspiron 530 won't boot past the logo screen. When I reboot holding F12 for the boot menu, all I get is the line of text "loading boot menu" and nothing more happens (left it in that state for an hour.) Same is true if I try and go into Setup.

I have not added hardware or software when this problem occurred. When I went to shut down last night, it stuck on the "shutting down" screen and the ball was still spinning this morning, so I powered down. Now I can't get the computer to boot, even with the Vista OS disk installed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.

First, try to reset the hardware using following steps:

1 Disconnect the power cables
2 Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
3 Reconnect the power cables and try to turn it on
4 Press F2 and let me know if it able to enter CMOS setup

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. I followed your steps and had to hold F2mdown for about 2 minutes before the "entering setup" messsge appeared. It is still sitting on that screen like it did before.
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
Okay, can you tell me if there are any device such as printer, modem, flash drive etc are connected to the computer.

If yes, turn off the system, disconnect any device connected to any of the USB ports (except your keyboard and mouse)

Turn it on and let me know the results.

If everything remain same, we need to open the case next.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow. Disconnected all the USB devices (I have many- 7 port hub) and rebooted and Windows launced. The last program I was using (Quicken) is on the screen- even though I shut down last night- but it was still trying to shutdown this morning.

The computer has done this many times, but I've always gotten it to re-boot by going into Setup and selecting the hard drive as the boot device. This time, I couldn't even do that and I have not added or deleted any software or hardware devices or drivers.....
Expert:  Santonu replied 5 years ago.
I think the problem occurred because the system is trying to intialize one of the USB devices connected and failed to do that.

That is why you were getting the Entering Setup screen for a long time.

To identify which device is causing the trouble, you need to connect one device at a time, restart the system and test the issue.

Also click Start-> Computer

Right click on C drive and click Properties
Click Tools
Click Check Now

If it ask to schedule a disk check for the next restart, click Yes.

Restart the system. When it starts again, disk check will automatically start. It will repair any filesystem errors(if present)

I hope this will help. If not please let me know

Thanks

Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware