Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.

my daughters computer keeps shutting down in power save mode

Customer Question

my daughters computer keeps shutting down in power save mode and I can not get it to stop. I am not computer illiterate and I have went in and changed the display settings and power options,,,,it still keeps going into power save mode ,,sometimes right after reboot and sometimes after an hour or what is it that is going on and how do I fix it.....
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 years ago.
What model computer is it?
What model monitor is it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

monitor is lg lcd flat screen

tower is IBM 3.2 gh 1 gh ram

operating system is windows xp pro

I do not thihk this has anything to do with monitor........the IBM tower light keeps going orange then monitor light goes orange and says power save mode......????

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 years ago.
I apologize I was just not sure if the monitor or tower was going into power save mode.. I see now that it is most likely both. If you adjust the power settings to never does the same thing happen?
Do the fans turn on when you turn on the computer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does the same thing....could this be power supply problem??
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does the same thing....could this be power supply problem??you know.....I don't hear a fan running
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 years ago.
It could be but lets not assume that right away. Please turn off the machine completely. Then open the side and take a can of compressed air, blow out all the dust inside the machine with the compressed air. Then put the side back on and test the machine again. If the fan is not running this is a heat problem and the dust can cause that as well. If it still does not run after the dust is removed the fan needs to be repplaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
now I am on my pc.....because I could not get hers to start without going straight to power save mode .....not even booting into windows before it happens.......there is only 1 fan and it is in the power supply.....the fan kicks the hot air out through the back of the lay down tower.....thats what IBM towers are they are not upright.....this machine is not dusty at all,,,,the fan is working but the machine shuts down like it is hot,,,,,because if I go back to it now.....I probably would be able to talk to you again on it
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 years ago.
If it is acting like it is hot that most likely is the problem. There may be a fault with the heat sink. Now that I know the type of tower the power supply itself may also need to be replaced as it is what should be purging the heat.