Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware

The internal battery on my Dell Dimension 8300 is going out.

The internal battery on my Dell Dimension 8300 is going out. I have received several alerts "System battery is low. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. In checking the Dell Users Manual, it cautions that you should press F2 and record all the screens in the system steup program prior to attempting to replace the battery.

This is next to impossible. There are at least three pages of setup options and many of them say press enter to see options. Then I get a pop-up screen of 5 to 7 setup options. I would be a massive job to write down all of these settings.

Is there a simplier way to do this. For example is there a way to print out the settings?

Frustrated In Indianapolis

When you replace the internal CMOS battery, the CMOS settings are automatically set to defaults.

The system will be able to work with the default settings loaded.

The settings that you need to change after the battery replacement are:

1 Date/Time
2 Boot Device sequence

1 So take a note of the boot device order and turn off the computer
2 Disconnect the power cables
3 Replace the CMOS battery
4 Reconnect the power cables and power it on.
5 You may receive an error that system options are not set. Press F2 to enter CMOS setup
6 Change the date/time to correct values
7 Change the boot order
8 Save changes and exit

In case you need the details of CMOS setup options, the following link will help

I think this will help. if not please let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think your solution is what I am looking for. However, it is Father's Day and I am late for a Father's Day cookout at my son's house.

How long do I have to accept this. For example, can I work on it tomorrow and accept it then?

Please let me know.

Thanks for your quick response,

No problem, please try it first and let me know. This question will remain open for another 24 hours.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Santonu:

Everything worked just as you said it would. I got the cmos battery replaced and the computer works fine now.