Ask Jonathan T Computer Pro Your Own Ques...

Jonathan T Computer Pro
Jonathan T Computer Pro, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years in IT, degree in Computer Engineering, Networking Expert

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop and a Brother wireless printer.

I just bought a new Toshiba laptop and a Brother wireless printer. My only internet connection is my AT&T 3G card. Can I use tis to communicate between the laptop and the printer? The instructions say to place the printer near the modem, but I do not have a modem. Sorry if this a stupid request. I am computer illiterate.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jonathan T Computer Pro replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rick,

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com. I am looking forward to assisting you with this question.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX previous response, unfortunately with your current setup, you will be unable to use your printer through a network (wireless) connection. The modem/router the instructions are referring to is something called a "Wireless Access Point". (Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point)

This particular device (with routing functionality built in) will allow you to create a network in your house and assign specific IP addresses to your printer and your laptop. Once these addresses have been assigned, your laptop will be able to send commands to the brother wireless printer to print and do any other functions that it may be able to do.

Once you get a wireless access point (or wireless router), you will be able to connect your laptop directly to the LAN (local area network) ports of the router or connect wirelessly to the Router (if your Toshiba laptop has a wireless network card). Once you have this information, you can go through the instructions with the devices to properly set them up and print wirelessly through your laptop.

Alternatively, I am guessing that your Brother Wireless printer has another type of connection (USB) that you can use to directly connect your Toshiba laptop to the printer. It would not be a wireless connection to the printer, however it should allow you to print.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the information provided above.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, If I just go and buy router, I should then be able to print wirelessly, correct?
Hi Rick,

Thank you for your response. From the information that I have been provided, that is correct. That is dependent on your laptop containing a wireless card, if that be the case, you should be able to print wirelessly. Please note that you need a wireless router (not just a router).

Experience: 8+ years in IT, degree in Computer Engineering, Networking Expert