Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.

My desktop is Gateway GM5446E. The Keyboard is Gateway Model

Customer Question

My desktop is Gateway GM5446E.
The Keyboard is Gateway Model Number KR-0532, wireless, and it came with the computer system.
Beginning with the last week the optional keys do not send any command to the computer (Speaker volume Up and Down, Speaker Mute, etc):
- The batteries are good, new, 1.5 V;
- The signal is transmitted from the keyboard to the receiver, and the blue LED on the top of the receiver lights up every time I activate the above speaker buttons;
- I have 5.1 speaker installed system which has worked fine since I have purchased the unit from Best Buy;
- I can increase and decrease the volume with the mouse, from the speaker icon on the lower bar.
All other normal keys are working properly.
I have accessed the Device Manager, and it indicates 4 Keyboards, but no one is the Gateway provided keyboard, KR-0532. This system was set up by the Best Buy Geek Squad.
Question: Which driver do I have to install/update to restore the original Keyboard functions????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
If the keyboard is working on the computer the driver is most likely already installed it jjust may not be listed as gateway. Please try changing the batteries in the keyboard and let me know the results so we can continue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just mentioned in my question: the batteries are new and checked with an Battery Checker, so this is not the problem;

I beleive, any GENERIC Keyboard driver would RUN ANY KEYBOARD, so it would not have the SPECIFIC program for a brand name keyboard

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Oh I apologize I did not see the batteries had been changed. Please try using this driver: Click Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have downloaded the driver specified by you, and installed it.

NO CHANGES IN MY PROBLEM. It did not work so far.

Pleast try something else. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I would appreciate if you read the details of myfirst question, so you have an understanding of my problem.

I have already mentioned about the battery condition.

My specific question, for which I agree to pay -if answered- is: do you have a driver download for the Gateway keyboard KR-0532??????

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
You have to restart the computer before the changes will be effective from the DRIVER I just had you install. Please restart and let me know if its the same. But either way I am going to opt out and let another expert help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry, I have restarted the computer but the above mentioned keys are not active (Mute, Volume UP, Volume Down, etc).

I am an Electrical Engineer, I have built from parts my last 3 Desktops, and I do have a limited knowledge of computers technology.

It puzzles me that all the Printer Drivers in My Device Manager are ...."working fine".. but the volume can not be controlled from my keyboard.

Any other suggestions for me to try?

Sorry for being a .@#$% but I would like to get rid of this annoying problem.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok I thank you for the apology and I will continue to help you instead of having other experts help. Please go into the device manager and right click and uninstall each of the keyboard drivers. Then restart the computer. Let windows automatically find your keyboard and install a new driver. Once it has restart the computer one more time and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, let me do that right know. Restarting would take a few minutes since I do have all kind of "goodies" on my computer.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
That's no problem take your time