David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

I cannot access my Hotmail account on my computer, but I can

I cannot access my Hotmail account on my computer, but I can on another computer using the same telephone wire and the same ISP. I keep getting a (picture of a) red shield with an "X" on the face of the shield with the message "There is a problem with this website's security certificate", but not just when I am trying to access my email. When I try to access Hotmail, I get a window that is "Windows Live" something or other, then when I try to find Hotmail from there I get the warning.

I can communicate via email by my using the other computer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Windows live, msn, and hotmail have all merged.
You can log into your account here: Click Here
Make sure to use your full email address as the windows live ID
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I always get the Windows Live window when I try to get to my Hotmail account. When I try to "sign in", my password XXXXX rejected, even though I set it just the other day when this all began. So when I try to reset my password, I get a message that says my user name is XXXXX XXXXX I continue with the password XXXXX and get the "crazy numbers/letters" which it never accepts.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok in that case I am going to have to opt out and let other experts answer
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Hello -

Next try the following in Internet Explorer:

From the Tools menu, select Internet Options then choose the General tab.

Under Browsing history, click Delete.

Next to "Temporary Internet Files", click Delete files.

Click Close, and then click OK to exit.

Now try again to login to your email. Also, if the above directions do not match your version of Internet Explorer I will need the version number which you can find by clicking the Help menu then About.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

To recap: I cannot access Hotmail on my computer, even though I can access Hotmail on another computer sitting next to mine with same telephone line and same ISP. When I try, I get a window for Windows Live. When I try to sign in, it already has my user name, but when I type in my password, it rejects the password, so I click on "lost your password?" link. Then it asks me to type in the "crazy numbers/letters". When I do that, it says my user id (provided by Windows Live) is no good, but the "crazy numbers/letters" fill-in slot comes back. So I try over and over to get past that barrier, but it still rejects because it rejects the user id. Somehow a security issue is involved, because a warning message pops up when I try certain things. I have run virus scans twice, plus Spybot search and destroy. I have run restore three times, once from 8 months back.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok so first have you tried the procedure outlined above?

Also, the warning message that pops up always says "There is a problem with this website's security certificate" correct? If so does it also provide a link to accept the security certificate?

Next, click Start then Run then type CMD and press Enter. Now type 'ping login.live.com' and press Enter and let me know what IP address you receive as a reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did as instructed. The result was very confusing, but the only thing I saw which may have beeen an IP address was 165.54.186.79
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so in the command window right click the top bar and click Edit then Select All then Edit and then Copy and then click here and press CTL - V to paste the command line output here for me to review.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand...if you mean command prompt, there is no "top bar". Please clarify.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will recap my entire problem:

1. When I click on my Hotmail icon on the desktop, or when I type in Hotmail in the URL, I always get Windows Live.

2. On Windows Live there is a sign in link.

3. When I click on the sign in link, I must first enter my password (my Windows Live user name is XXXXX XXXXX). My username is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

4. I get a message that says my password XXXXX XXXXX

5. I click on "forgot your password" link.

6. I get a message that says to enter the "crazy numbers/letters", and it says my user id is invalid. It will not accept anything I type in for the "crazy letters/numbers".

7. Therefore it is impossible to get at my email.

8. Furthermore, I can access my Hotmail account on another computer sitting right beside my own (it is my wife's). I simply access the internet (IE) and click on Hotmail. This computer is fed through the same telephone line, the same modem, and the same router.

9. Another problem which seems related is: MS Word is messed up (but not Excel). I cannot open MS Word...it just sits there with an hourglass.

10. I have seen several messages that say "There is a problem with this website's security certificate".

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the reason I wanted you to ping login.live.com is to confirm that your PC is connecting to the real Windows Live login site rather than a rogue site. The IP address you have provided above would appear to indicate that you are connecting to the correct site so the certificate should be valid.

Next reboot and at the Windows progress bar press F8 and then in the menu that appears select Safe Mode with Networking. After you login try again to connect to Windows Live and login (Safe Mode starts the computer with minimal services and drivers so it will look different).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did as you suggested. I rebooted in safe mode. After doing so, I could not access anything on the internet...it said I had (have) connection problems, which I do not, or I would not be writing this message. I tried one web site called Bridge Baron Online, which uses a lot of graphics and color...it instructed me to raise to at least 600 X 800 (or vise versa) which I did twice but it kept going back to the minimum, whatever that was.

I have instructions on how to erase my hard drive. I have a INDOWS XP PRO INSTALL CD and a SERVICE PACK 2 INSTALL CD. I feel this is dangerous to do, without some experience, but I am at my wit's end. I am not afraid of losing data...I have it backed up except for maybe a couple of MS Word documents, but I can't get at MS Word anyhow, so I will maybe lose a little. What do you think about my doing an erase and reinstall? I have tried 3 or 4 times to restore, once back to October, 2008, but it had no effect.

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

I believe that even though it has not been detected, there is some type of malware on your PC. I agree with a reinstall but recommend a recovery disk procedure if that is available (which will reset your operating system and software to factory default). Most manufacturers offer a recovery disk or hidden partition to do this and it would enable you to get the PC up and running quickly with minimal disruption.

What is the make and model of your PC?

If a recovery disk or partition is not available then just make sure you have everything backed up and then wipe the disk (delete the operating system partition) and perform a reinstall.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My computer is an Acer AST180

I do not have a recovery disk...when I got the machine it had Vista on it, which gave me problems, so, with help I "retrograded" to XP Pro.

I will lose some software, but I have Excel data and Word data backed up on flash drives. Most of the software I have CD's for, and I use AVG (free) and Spybot (also free) which I can download, I have listed the software that I have on CD's, the software to download, and some Web sites I visit frequently, that I will have to search for and reestablish ( my bank, for instance). I guess I will lose my email addresses and Favorites, but I will at least list them.

I will not proceed until I hear from you

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.

I see - since you will be reinstalling XP and the PC came originally with Vista, the recovery procedure in this case will not help you.

To ease the process I would recommend that you back up your entire system using NTBackup to a DVD or another computer, selecting everything in My Documents, Documents and Settings, and System State and then any other directories that contain information that you may want to save. Documents and Settings will contain your Favorites and Desktop and user specific settings, System State contains system specific settings, and My Documents (basically any directory that starts with "My") so that you have all of your documents secured.

Once the backup is complete then I would recommend proceeding with the reinstall of the OS.

David L, Systems Engineer
Experience: Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience