I will recap my entire problem:
1. When I click on my Hotmail icon on the desktop, or when I type in Hotmail in the URL, I always get Windows Live.
2. On Windows Live there is a sign in link.
3. When I click on the sign in link, I must first enter my password (my Windows Live user name is XXXXX XXXXX). My username is [email protected].
4. I get a message that says my password XXXXX XXXXX
5. I click on "forgot your password" link.
6. I get a message that says to enter the "crazy numbers/letters", and it says my user id is invalid. It will not accept anything I type in for the "crazy letters/numbers".
7. Therefore it is impossible to get at my email.
8. Furthermore, I can access my Hotmail account on another computer sitting right beside my own (it is my wife's). I simply access the internet (IE) and click on Hotmail. This computer is fed through the same telephone line, the same modem, and the same router.
9. Another problem which seems related is: MS Word is messed up (but not Excel). I cannot open MS Word...it just sits there with an hourglass.
10. I have seen several messages that say "There is a problem with this website's security certificate".