Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I have to download adobe flash player every single time I reboot.

Customer Question

I have to download adobe flash player every single time I reboot. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it every single day. It installs fine but then it disappears on each reboot. I have vista ultimate, 64 bit & IE8. It was working just fine and then maybe it was an update? I'm thinking at the end of March or so? I can usually find an answer to my problems if I google and read about it long enough but I'm going crazy with this one and I can't believe that no one else is having this problem. If you can help me I would appreciate it so much. Thank you   Janet
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi Janet,

- What operating system are you using (XP / Vista)
- Did this problem begun after you installed/removed some software/hardware
- What internet browser are you using (Internet explorer / Firefox)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Vista Ultimate, 64 bit, IE 8 .....but everything worked and I'm thinking that it must have been a windows update that messed things up. I have tried everything that the adobe website says to do, uninstall and reinstall (daily since about the end of March) and I have done it through the administrator priveleges etc. No new hardware, but yes, of course I download things once in a while. I have the same virus protection etc. I did install IE8 about that time but I can't remember if that started this problem or not.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Please try to uninstall IE8 and see if problem gets resolved. IE8 has lot of bugs.

If you dont know how to do this please tell me if you have XP or Vista

Let me know
Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have vista. Would you please tell me what I need to do to uninstall? Should I download IE7?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Be assured that I will continue assisting you even after you accept my answer.

Now, please click on START > type Programs and Features in the search box and press enter.

A window will open up. Look up for IE8 in the list and click on Uninstall on that window.

Once process is finished please restart computer. Then get back to me.

Please press CTRL+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can reach me after restarting computer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry. I could not find IE8 in the program list or the installed updates. It took a while to locate it. I have finally uninstalled it and it reverted back to IE7.

It was also confusing to me as to how to get back to you and I was charged again when I tried to ask you a question about how to uninstall.

I am ready for further instructions whenever you are back online. Thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Dont worry, you will not be charged again. You are charged only when you click accept button to accept my answer. You have just made a deposit for another question.

So coming to point. After uninstalling IE8 is the problem not solved ?

Please click here : http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
Tell me what does this page say. Does it say Flash installed or not.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well, I accidentally did press accept instead of reply because reply looked like it was greyed out. If you can solve this problem then I will pay you the extra money that I was charged ....

unfortunately the problem is unsolved. Flash player disappeared again. and I had to reinstall it.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Dont worry, if you want I can even issue you a refund. Money is not my concern, its more important to solve your issue.

First lets remove all old Flash files on your computer using this tool :
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

Once its removed, then download this stand alone installer. Click on this link and a page will open and flash file will download automatically in few seconds ( you dont have to click anything on the page ) :
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/flashfirefox-security.html

Save the file on your desktop. Once downloaded, double click to install it.

Let me know once you do this. I will have to go offline in few minutes. Can we please continue this tomorrow if you dont mind,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, that would be great.. I am shutting down too.

I did as you instructed above.

to be continued................

thanks!

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

I am back online. So after doing above (removal and new install) what is situation.

Please again click here : http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

good morning..

nope it's gone again......

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Lets try using firefox and see what happens. Click here :

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.0.7&os=win⟨=en-US

When you get a message box, just RUN it.

When you receive the file fully, it will start installation.

After installed. Restart your computer.

Goto start > type firefox.exe in search and press enter.

Now dont open any internet explorer windows at all. Now from firefox window click here : http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Then get back to me from firefox window.

Let me know how it goes !!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will do all of that but I wanted to be sure that you realize that I'm not having any problem uninstalling and installing the flash player. It installs just fine, but then it disappears with the restart. So I'm just making sure that you know that it is not a problem with installation in IE......

Should I still proceed with all of that with firefox? I tried to use Firefox before and I couldn't get on half the websites that I tried so I gave it up.....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

whoa...it says estimated time for download is almost 2 hrs!

I have max 18mbps with att so that can't be right can it?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Thank you so much for the additional info. I understand your issue but frankly this is a very common issue and there is not straight solution to this.

So, lets try firefox and see what result we get.

2hrs is impossible, the file is not that big. Maybe it will reduce once download begins

Let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok...not to trying to argue or anything! Just giving you as much info as possible because I understand how difficult it must be for you to figure out what is wrong when you don't know what all I've done with my computer... Laughing

It did reduce and then the time went back up to 1 hr and 52 min. We shall see. I'm hanging in there.

Oh, one more thing... I did download and run CC (crap cleaner...or whatever the new name for it is) Hope I didn't screw up the registry. I've run it a few times since March. I have also been scouring the internet for the solution to this and I have run the SubInacl.msi file which I thought would finally solve the problem, but it didn't.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Now I can see a story unraveling ;-) ... Dont worry about arguing, unless you talk, there is no way for me to guess ... i bunked the telepathy lectures in school ;-) ...

CC cleaner has many options. But if you used registry repair option, I wouldnt be too happy. Playing with registry is the last thing I would do. Because to solve one problem it can create 10 more.

I have tried the subinacl thing with many customers and it has never worked (bad luck of anything) so I have stopped using it.

Firefox has solve issue for 90% of my customers and I hope it works for you too.

Lets wait and watch

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

While waiting for the file to download- wanted to show you the next thing that I tried to do to fix the problem... (not meaning to insult you or anything... though)

Here's the post from the Adobe forum that I tried to follow but I never could get the reset_fp10 zip file to download....

While using Internet Explorer 6 I never had any issues with Flash Player. I wasn't even aware that it was there. After installing the new Internet Explorer 8 I began getting more computer freezes than I can ever remember having. This happened whenever I came to a website that wanted to use FlashPlayer even though it was already installed. I had to hit the computer reset button many times.

With IE8 installed I went through the different instructions on the Adobe website. I downloaded the uninstaller and tried that with no luck. I downloaded the SubInACL tool from Microsoft and the reset_fp10.zip file from Adobe and tried that according to the instructions. Still no results.

I then tried to manually adjust Registry Permissions according to TechNote tn_19148. No results

I removed IE8 and everything runs fine. I like IE8. Any ideas.

Thanks, Steve

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

LOL ... now you know why I asked you to uninstall IE8 ... I have been to most of the forums already ;-) ... its my job to stay informed !!

Feel free to share what other things you did.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
uhmmm.. I can't even remember all the other things that I did... just kidding... somedays I would feel like tackling this annoying problem and I would go to the adobe forum or other tech forums and see if I could fix it but I never ever went into the registry to try to fix it myself. I'm not that stupid. As far as CC - I see that I have removed it but anytime that I used it I would analyze , and then choose to clean up the files....so I don't think that was the registry repair choice but I can't remember and I don't have the program anymore to be able to look at it. Fingers crossed that you don't think that I did do the registry repair option. Most days.. I was weary of it and it was easier to uninstall and reinstall each day. I'm just finally tired of the problem and I want to solve it - plus.....it hampers access to websites when your flash player isn't working. I'm a dance teacher and I use youtube and sites like that daily to view dance videos so it has become an annoying problem. Ok...shutting up now....as you can see that the caffeine has kicked in!
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Dance teacher ... thats awesome !! ... I am not ashamed, but I cant dance at all ... once went to a club with frnds n was standing there for 2 hrs watchin others ... huh ... I guess everyone cant do everything ... but I am good at what I do :-) ... so no complains to God ;-) ...

Coming to your topic, do you have a Vista Installation Disc (not recovery disc) with you or can you get hold of one from a friend or one of your students. With that disc I can show you how to perform windows repair. You will not loose any data but it will fix all of your Windows related issues like registry ones too.

FYI, I drink tea ;-)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Error msg just came up saying that the file was corrupt. Did you know that I have 64 bit?

I made a back up myself the other day.... (a year late...oops) and it said that it would take 12-14 dvds which I didn't understand so I backed up to my external hd and I have no idea if I did it right or not... but I do have it on there? I would need help in accessing the right files though...or how to use the back up.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Oh Ho ... nopes I didnt know that and sorry for not asking ...

Please click here to get firefox. Firefox it is the best when using adobe products on a 64 bit machine: Click Here
Then install flash in firefox here: Click Here

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok...installed firefox but then it won't let me install flash player.. says that firefox needs to be closed before it can install. Installing in IE was straight forward so I am not understanding the problem here. Also you said not to open a window in IE but to "talk" to you - it opens this page in IE when i click on the link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I installed it from the standalone installer that you provided earlier. It seems to be working..should I now reboot and see if it's still there?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

That is because IE is your default web browser. You can close all IE windows including this one and open a firefox window. Then goto JustAnswer.com and sign in from there. Then click on MyQuestions and get back to me.

If it says to close firefox, close it. After its installed just start firefox again and get back to me..

The standalone installer is for 32bit OS so I dont know if it will work for you. Just restart computer anyways to confirm

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok.. restarted.... flash player is still there so it was successful. It will be a struggle to get used to the new browser...can't find mail icon...etc but if it is much better than IE- I will do it.

Please tell me what a fair price would be for your time. I really appreciate your patient help!
Thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

You have already made a deposit for $9 and I will be paid a part from it so dont worry about that. After you will accept my answer you will have an option to gift me a Bonus for any amount you want but its not mandatory. We are not allowed to discuss money matters with customers so its totally your call :-)

Now, if you again have problem with flash please get back to me by replying to this message and I will surely help you.

Firefox is 1000 times better than IE and faster too. You will love it over time. If you dont, just get back to me and I will help you with IE again.

Take care
Andy, Computer Consultant
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!Laughing
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

You are most welcome. Thank you so much for the Bonus.

Have a nice day