Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

my brother MFC-490cw printer wont print black, replaced ink

my brother MFC-490cw printer won't print black, replaced ink cartridge and the black is full, all the other color work and have had the printer self-clean 10 times with still no luck. any advice?
Hello !!

Lets make sure this first, did you remove the Plastic tape from the cartridge nozzle.

If yes, then when you perform cleaning, does black ink comes out tht time ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX there is ink actually coming out a little bit of the nozzle, but it doesn't seem to be feeding into the printer, thus my printer won't print black. Have cleaned post nozzle dripping several times to no avail.
Hello !!

If you already tried cleaning the cartridge using the software then there are only two possiblities :
1. The print heads are either worned out with age or needs cleaning.
2. The cartridge you bought is faulty (less probable)

If the printer is in warranty then you should get it repaired by brother for free. If not, you should try cleaning up the print head or buy new ones.

But it will certainly not be worth getting it repaired as that will be more costly then buying a new printer. To be very honest, these print heads are made of poor quality so that you need to replace them and Brother can make money. Thats why they sell cartridges at cheaper cost.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again, Andy. How do you clean the print head outside of the cleaning function? Is there a manual way to do it?
Hello !!

So the bad news is that it seems that this printer doesnt have any software option to perform print head cleaning. But please try out differnt options in the Printer menu and in the software from computer, if you can find a way.

Other than that, it depends from printer to printer on how to reach the print head and for most Brother printers the head it buried below the cartridges and is not tat simple to reach. Some people just use some chemical provided with Brother cartridges and pour it at shown location to clean up the head, others use some mixture of alcohol (at own risk). But frankly both these options dont give good results if the head are dried out.

So, I am very sorry but the options are quite limited here. You can try to buy new print heads if they are cheap enough. Else, try performing the clean up option in printer 5-6 times. Then, try to locate the print heads with best judgement. If none of these work the cheapest solution is to buy a new HP printer. They are more reliable and cost effective in long run.