Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

What is causing my cd drive on my hp laptop to keep opening/ejecting,

Customer Question

What is causing my cd drive on my hp laptop to keep opening/ejecting, when there is nothing in it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

- What is make and model of computer
- Did this problem begun after you installed/removed some software/hardware

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HP DV6000 series Notebook. No new software has been installed.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Please press CTRL+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can reach me after restarting computer.

Please goto safe mode using the following steps.
Steps:
1. Restart your laptop and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Safe Mode"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load normally.

Now in safe mode does the same problem happens ?

Now restart your computer and let it load normally. Then get back to me.

Let me know what happens in safe mode now

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same thing in safe mode..
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Alright, lets try another thing.

Now do this :
1. Start > Run > type msconfig [press Enter]
2. goto Services tab.
3. Click on the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ box at the bottom of the
screen so that it has a tick in it. The window in the middle of the screen
should change when you do this. It may take a few seconds to take
effect.
4. Then click the ‘Disable All’ button on the bottom right. It should un-tick
all the boxes now visible.
5. Now goto startup tab.
6. Then click the ‘Disable All’
7. Click APPLY.
8. Click Restart.

9. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
11. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Then see if problem is solved. Let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
umm if disable all that stuff, and even if it does seem to work, that leaves me with stuff I would need in a disabled mode, what do you think is causing the drive door to keep popping open?
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Dont worry, we will discuss all that and will take care of it.

First please let me know if you did what I said. And is your problem solved

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I continue this later, or tomorrow? I have to do some other stuff now?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know, and how I can resume

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
No problem. Just reply to this message whenever you are back.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks... I'll let you know how the msconfig works

later..
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
sure, take care
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am back trying this now.. sorry it took so long, but life happens.. I just did the msconfig stuff and its rebooting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>ok its been about 15 mins and for now the drive door is staying closed. </p><p> </p><p>But what about all the things I disabled, things like my anti virus, and other things I do need..</p><p> </p><p>What do we do next???</p><p> </p><p>Waiting...</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !! ... Thats great .. .

So basically, some kind of malware was doing this. Now we disable all startup programs and problem is gone.

Now, please do this if you want some softwares like antivirus to autostart when you start computer.
Do this :
2. goto Services tab.
3. Now goto startup tab.
4. Make TICK on the softwares you want to start on start-up. Only select software you 100% know about.
5. Click APPLY.
6. Click Restart.
7. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
8. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Let me know how this goes.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask me any question you have before leaving a Negative Feedback. I will be glad to help you solve all your problems.

Positive Feedback and BONUS is always appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ya, but there is a huge list of startup items, and also what about all the non ms services I disabled? Those need to be enabled, but which ones??

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

If there is a huge list of Start Up programs, dont worry about them. They might be the remains of the softwares you have used over time. You need to start up only programs you need and you know. Others are not required and will make your computer slow and can compromise security.

You really dont have to worry about them.

Also, I would advise you to install and run these two free softwares :

Adaware (dont pay for Adaware Plus)
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Malwarebyte (dont pay anything and download free version)
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

They will remove any Spyware / Adware on your computer and this way many of the Start Up items should go away.

what about all the non ms services I disabled?

The best part about this is, you need not worry at all. MS automatically starts up all services it needs on its own. So you just have to leave it alone now.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using AVG and really do not see any unknown items in that startup or services.

much of the stuff on the list, is either HP stuff, or stuff that looks like it needs to be running.

I am gonna see how the puter functions as it is now, and see if it works, does what it is supposed to do, and nothing seems missing,

I'll bench test it for a day or so, and get back..

thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Sure, I understand your concern, but there is really nothing to worry.

Also, please run the 2 Adware removal tools.

The HP and other things you see are things that perform auto updates and stuff. They are not required and they eat computer bandwidth and resources and makes it show.

Take your time and see if you have any issue. i am here to help you with all of them.

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IM really leary of downloading and installing anything extra.

I have used lavasoft in the past, and it seemed to make matters worse..

I'll just give this a few days and let ya know
;)
Thanks for your help,. after say a few days if all is stil ok, I'll go ahead and hit the Accept button

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

Sure, I am sure you will not be dissapointed with me :-)

Please press CTRL+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can reach me next time directly.

Take care
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Done all of the above,.yet the darn drives STILL keeps popping open!

Sometimes not for 20 mins or more, sometimes repeatedy for about 5 times in a row, and I keep shutting it, then it seems to stop.

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hi !!

You had reported that after we used Msconfig to disable Startup softwares the problem was taken care of.

Then I requested you to again goto Msconfig and Activate 1 program at a time so that you can catch the culprit.

Did you do this ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK Im officially giving up on this issue. Its just NOT stopping the drive popping out.

Can I switch this to another problem, on another computer?

Thanks
Diane
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello Diane,

In that case, it is highly likely that your CD Drive has a defect. It seems a mechanical fault that is signally the CD Drive to open up. There is no point in repairing the drive as it will cost you much much more than buying a new CD Drive.

What do you mean by : Can I switch this to another problem, on another computer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have another computer with a problem. Since we were not able to solve the CD issue, can I ask a question for another computer with another problem

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

For that you will have to start a new question thread. So that the expert who is most proficient in that topic can help you.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its a very similar issue. If I post a new thread I will be charged again. Since my original issue was not resloved and I have not clicked ACCEPT, I would like to give you another chance to get my ACCEPT

This issue is on a Toshiba Laptop, all indicators say the sound card is working, but I hear no sound. I have checked all settings, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. IS there any way to detect if the actual device is broken, or if there is some obscure setting I have missed?

It used to work just fine, and now does not

Thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello !!

Dont worry, you have not been charged anything yet. And when you will post a new question, you will not be charged again. The money you desposited for this question will be used in that question.

And you can withdraw your deposit anytime you want to.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand, but I did not want you to lose credit for the ACCEPT.

But if thats the only way I can do it I guess I will have to.

Sorry