NeOh
NeOh, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Currently working in web applications.Good Experience in C,VB,ASP,Javascript
15563787

My Dell computer will not allow me to log on. I click my name

Customer Question

My Dell computer will not allow me to log on. I click my name & its "loading your personal settings," then immediately afterward "logging off," and it goes back to the Welcome screen showing my log-in name (the only one for this computer).

thanks
Mary
Category: Computer
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What operating system are you using?

-What internet browser are you using?

-What have you already tried?

Thanks
Shidhin

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

fff
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to say that I'm not conversant with these terms. I have a Dell that runs Windows XP. I've tried turning the machine off and turning it back on. I

thanks,
Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

First try to Login in safe mode. and check whether you are able to login in safe mode or not

For starting the system in safe mode, please do this

Restart your system. when starting Keep pressing the F8 key. now a menu will come which ask for starting in safe mode.

if you are able to start in safe mode then, do

right click My Computer>properties>Advanced>uncheck "Automatic restart" under System Failure.

You need to check the whole system for any system failure

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't work. I was able to click on Safe mode. A welcome screen came up with much bigger letters. It offered me two log-ins, for Administrator or Mary (me). I clicked me and it did exactly the same thing, flipping back to "logging out". Exactly the same thing happened with "Administrator."

Thanks, Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Ok, then may be some of your system files will be corrupted. Do you have a windows XP installation CD with you ?

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have a disk marked Windows XP home edition. But I don't want to lose everything on my computer--the files??

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

You have to do this. You wont lose any of your files.

1. Boot using your winxp cd.
2. Enter recovery console.
3. at the command prompt go to
C:/windows/system32
4. next type:
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
5. exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet!
6. run regedit( Goto Start-> Run -> Type regedit and click OK )
7. find the Userinit key in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
8. modify the entry:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe
so that it reads:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

This will fix Your problem

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by this:
1. Boot using your winxp cd.

I just turned the computer off and put that disk in the drive. It says "Operating System, reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including service pack 1a." I could hear it going around, but nothing much happened and I ended up at the same screen again -- regular Welcome asking me to log-in (I tried and it just logged me back out)

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

after putting the CD in the Drive, restart your system, now this time the Windows will boot from the CD only.

when the welcome screen comes, press "R" . this will give you the recovery console.

now follow the above instructions

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm afraid that it doesn't work. I started over and pressed "r" and "R" -- neither seem to have any effect on the welcome screen. ??

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Is your BIOS settings is correct, i mean the first Boot device is from CD or not ?

Is it booting from the CD when you starts ?

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure. I don't know what the BIOS setting is. When I turn the machine back on, I can hear the CD whirling, but there seems to be no change in what shows on the screen. How would I know if it is properly booting from the CD drive?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Shidhin,

I have to go out for a while. I hope this is OK. I will take your advice when I get back.
best, Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Please refer this link to check whether your BIOS is set to Boot from CD first

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

please let me know if you have any queries

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried restarting and hitting "delete" as per that page. there was no effect. It also flashes something about the data being "raw".

Then it goes to the same welcome screen.

Mary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry -- I have to go out for a few hours now. I will follow your advice when I return.
Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Try to keep pressing the delete key when starting windows. If that Doesnt work the press F2 when starting windows

i think this time you will get the BIOS menu

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI,
That didn't work, unfortunately. I just started it again and pressed F2 and Delete repeatedly from teh moment it started up. I'm at the Welcome screen again.

My brother-in-law thought I might have a virus that disrupts the computer's ability to accept passwords, since it won't log in to administration either. Do you know anything about viruses?

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Your problem here is actually the after effect of a virus. the virus have replaced the userinit.exe file from your system with another exe file.

for solving that issue only we are trying to boot from the CD. what we will do here is , we will overwrite the virus file with the actual windows userinit.exe . also change the Registry key also back to the normal.

So this will fix the issue. but here we are not able to BOOT from the CD. Once you are able to Boot from the CD , then we can rectify the issue.

Can youe please tell me your Full system model no ?

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is a full system model number? where would I find that?

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

that will be written in your system itself. Can you check this and find out the key for entering into BIOS

using this link

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

SHidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I caught it going fast: Bios A-09. And I have a Dell Dimension 4600C. And now I have a page describing it

BIOS: A09
Service tag number

System time
System date
Drive Configuration...

A whole page of info: I don't know what to do, so I'm just leaving that up. You may not be in my time zone, so whenever you online, it would be great to know what I should do next!

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Thats good. Now you are in BIOS menu right ?

Now Are you able to see a Option called BOOT ?

refer this link

http://www.webmadeeasy.net/ComputerDocs/Dell/Dimension/4700/ServiceManual/syssetup.htm

here, refer the "Changing Boot Sequence for the Current Boot"

Its mentioned that , You can change the BOOT menu when you restart your system. when you restarts, click on the F12 key, which will give you a boot menu. select the CD Drive from the list, so that your system will Boot from the CD. if this doesnt work, then enter into BIOS and Goto the "BOOT Options" and change the Boot menu order.

now when your system booted from the CD , just do these steps
1.(I think you will get the menu when you boot from the CD   )
2. Enter recovery console.
3. at the command prompt go to
C:/windows/system32
4. next type:
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
7. find the Userinit key in:
8. modify the entry:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe
so that it reads:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

I hope this will help you to solve the issue

Thanks
Shidhin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm getting there! I'm in the REcovery Console. What came up is this:

1: c:\Windows

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)?

I tried putting in

c, 3 (for 32) x (for xp), all of those came back with "invalid selection." I have one space only to enter something.

I'll leave it there til I hear from you again--
Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

The Option is coming like

1.c:\Windows

right ?

So please press 1

and press ENTER if asked

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That worked!

So now I get:

Type the Administrator password:

I tried just returning.

I got:

C:\WINDOWS>

I tried entering "c:/windows/system32"

"The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commends.

Then I tried just putting in "system32"

got the same message

So I thought maybe I should just go to "copy" and I tried "copy userinit.exe" but it says "the system cannot find the file specified."

How do I get to "system32"?

thanks!
Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Now you are inside C:\Windows>

please type "CD System32" with out quotes. this will change the directory to C:/windows/system32

Now do the procedures which was given in the previous post. You can ask me any doubt. i will be here

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, that worked -- now I'm at:

c:\Windows/System32>

I typed:

copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

I got this:

"The system cannot find the file specfiied."

So I tried just the first part:

copy userinit.exe

I got the same message.

??
I double-checked and I spelled the files as you said above.

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Then that file may not be there. Then please refer this link and follow the last instructions

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7624.html

refer this part

"FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT CANNOT GET THE COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE TO WORK --> PLEASE READ THIS"

please let me know once you do this

Thanks
Shidhin
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

before trying the above post, just try this command

"copy C:\windows\system32\dllcache\userinit.exe C:\windows\system32"

with out quotes.. and check whether that file copied or not

instead of copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried it twice, without quotes, and it says "The system cannot find the file specified."

sorry! I double-checked my spelling...
Mary
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I missed one of your answer! Will now respond to your first comment with the link.
Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Then do this steps in this link

refer this part

i am sorry, am i complicating too much ? We are doing this all steps because we have to make sure that that file should be there.

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried #3 (wasn't sure what to do with the sentence in quotes at #2):

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>cd system32\config

The system couldn't find the file specified.

I tried just this:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>config

That didn't work either.

??

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

You have to do

"CD config" with out quotes instead of "cd system32\config" .

OK. just try this before that. when you are inside

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>

type "copy userinit.exe C:\Windows\System32\" with out quotes. if you are getting the same error message again , then do the steps in the previous link
else if you got a message that "Copied 1 file" then please let me know

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry this is taking so long!

I followed the directions like this:

>CD config
>SYSTEM32\CONFIG>ren software software.old
>SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy cd:\windows\repair\software

and it says "1 file copied"!

now what?
Mary

Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Now type exit

so it will exit the recovery console. and take the CD out from the drive.

now restart your system. when starting keep pressing the F8 key, so this will enable you to start the system in safe mode.

so in safe mode , do these steps

a.) Start-->Run--> type regedit, enter
b.) Select/Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
c.) Hit File-->Load Hive
d.) Find where you saved the software.old file (C:\windows\system32\config\software.old)
e.) Just name it test
5) THIS IS WHERE MY FIX Differs from the previous post
a.) Navigate to test\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
b.) Look for the Userinit field
c.) Mine was blank which was causing the log off loop, others had wsaupdater.exe in this key
- Double click on the ky and type C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,
Note: if anything differs repeat step 5 with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon
6) Restart and log back into Recovery Console
7) Restore the original hive now
a.) type cd system32\config enter
b.) type del software enter
c.) type ren software.old software enter
d.) type exit enter
8) Log back into Windows normally.

Thanks
Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Argh!

I didn't work.

I'm in safe mode, and back at the Welcome screen, but when I click my name or Administrator, to log in, it loads the personal settings, then automatically logged out and back to the WElcome screen.

bummer!

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

I afraid that still we dont have the userinit.exe in the system.

Try this

Boot on the XP CD and press 'R' to enter the recovery console. If prompted to, select your windows installation and enter the admin password (leave blank if none was set). From the command prompt type copy d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe where d is the volume letter corresponding to the XP CD (type dir d: to confirm this, else try dir e:, ... until you've found the right volume letter) . If you get an error message try expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe. Once you get the confirmation that the file has been copied (or that it already exists) proceed with the next steps.

Try pressing F8 at startup and choosing the last known good config.

I think this time it will work

Shidhin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh my God!
I can see my icons!!!!

So I did #a:
a.) Start-->Run--> type regedit, enter
b.) Select/Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

But what exactly am I selecting/highlighting with b?

There's a message overwriting my icons that talks about Active Desktop recovery -- do I want to "restore my active desktop"?

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

I am happy to hear that. now

click on the button "restore my active desktop". after this

Goto Start-->Run--> type regedit, enter

goto this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon

now Right click on it and do "Edit"

and check whether the value is C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe or not

if not change the value to

C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe

and click OK

now restart your system. This will solve all the problems

Thanks
Shidhin
NeOh, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Currently working in web applications.Good Experience in C,VB,ASP,Javascript
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It won't restore my active desktop, but that is OK -- I got into my Palm and got all the info out, and I'm going to do the same with the rest of the programs, and then I am DONE with this fried computer! You are brilliant - thank you so much for your patience, and for sticking with over all these days. I am hugely grateful!!

I am putting in a bonus for you, with my gratitude

Mary
Expert:  NeOh replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the accept. i am very happy to hear that your problem got fixed

Thanks for using Just Answer

Shidhin