Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

Keyboard keeps typing on its own and deleting text on its own.

Customer Question

Keyboard keeps typing on its own and deleting text on its own. very frusterating since i keep having to retype everything multiple times
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like your delete key is getting stuck pushed down. If there is anything electronic near the keyboard or anything else wireless remove it. Then try the keyboard. If the problem is till there clean out the keyboard with a can of compressed air and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To follow up, it doesn't always happen when i press the delete key. Also, the keyboard is mechanically sound, there is nothing around the keyboard that would make the key physically stuck. As far as the battery in the keyboard, it is good. I also just remembered something, the same thing happens when i use the main keyboard on the laptop itself. So, that means its not the keyboard itself. I really think it may be a virus or something. Some virus that some kid made which would annoy the victim by deleting the typing it made. You know whats wierd though, the text i am typing right now has not been deleted at all. I have only had to type it once. Maybe it only works for word processors since it always happens in Microsoft Word (all of office for that matter) and in notepad and such. Please help. I have now entered my credit card since i am willing to pay if someone can fix this!!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok I think you may be infected with malware
Download and install malwarebytes from here: Download Now
After it is installed restart the machine and tap F8 as it starts
Choose safe mode from the menu
Then log in and open malwarebytes
Run a complete scan of your computer and remove anything it finds
Then restart the computer normally and let me know the results
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, here are the attached log files. I did the quick scan and the full scan. The problem remains though. the scans did find some things but i have noticed that it still happens. I might just be mistaken but it seems like it is happening less often now. Nonetheless, it still happens. I really wish i could get this fixed. I would pay you guys $20 if you could fix it. It is on my work computer and i type a lot of documents and it is the most frusterating to have to retype sentances over and over again. Well, i am ready for the next idea. Thanks.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2209
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6/1/2009 4:21:51 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-01 (16-21-28) quick scan.txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 157383
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 57 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{2d2bee6e-3c9a-4d58-b9ec-458edb28d0f6} (Rogue.DriveCleaner) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.37
Database version: 2209
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6/2/2009 8:01:57 AM
mbam-log-2009-06-02 (08-01-48) full scan.txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 647239
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
c:\program files\ida freeware 4.3\ida.wll (Rogue.Installer) -> No action taken.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok yoiu had a rogue installer and adware on your machine
Please download and install spybot from here: Download Now
Run it the same way you did malwarebytes, it happening less often is a good sign. However I think you may have some spyware left over and this program should find it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, i did the spybot and here is what it found. All tracing cookies. I will have to type out some test documents to see if the problem was fixed. Do you think that a tracing cookie could have been the problem? I am not sure if tracing cookies are that bad, are they? Also, there is one called Zedo (sound kinda like redo and Control Z, which is undo, combined which may be related to whats happening on my computer). I will let you know if the problem is fixed. Meanwhile, can you tell me what you think about the Spybot output. Thanks.

I guess i cannot paste pictures. I have the screen shots as images and i also have a .pdf file i printed out which has the cookies it found but the pdf doesn't have as much information as the images. Let me know if you konw a way i can get these to you. thanks.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Tracking cookies are just annoying but can be bad
However Zedo combine with rogue installers could have caused the problem

The only time you have to worry about tracking cookies is with certain sites who use adware as well. They will send you ads targeted to what you have been browsing which they get through the cookies. So it's a good idea to get rid of them but not 100% necessary. Zedo is one of these adware robots that will display these ads through the cookies so the cookies were most likely made by it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, i think i have found out what the heck is going on. I was typing in word right now to test out the computer and it started deleting everything. so i went to the task manager in the middle of it deleting my stuff thinking there may be a task running which is doing this and i found a task called itype. this i think is for a mac anyway and i am using a PC. i don't know how that got onto my computer but i terminated the task and i think it is working. I will keep testing and get back to you in a bit. What is the itype program exactly? Do you think that is what is the problem? Who can i stop that program from starting automatically on startup? I need to either delete the program altogher or stop it from exectuing on startup. let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Man i just looked up what itype is and it came with my keyboard. it is part of Intelletype Pro which operates the shortcut keys on my wireless keyboard. If this is indeed the problem than my keyboard shortcut keys will not work. i wish we can find out how to preseve the keyboard functionality and stop the deleteing problem.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 5 years ago.
Ok well we are getting somewehere at least
Please uninstall the keyboard software then reinstall it from the disc
After uninstall restart the computer
Then after reinstalling restart the computer again
Please let me know the results