abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B-Tech Topper in CSE from IIT Roorkee, Experience as S/W design Engineer at Microsoft India

windows cannot find C WINDOWS system 32 rundll32.exe

Customer Question

windows cannot find 'C:WINDOWS system 32 rundll32.exe'
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 7 years ago.
Hello. rundll32.exe is fake its not from the system but its an infection. Try to run combofix.

NOTE: Click OK to continue on those popup messages from combofix, dont disable the anti-virus just click ok to go on, and if it ask to download the recovery console just click no.

Try to run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. The Microsoft Level 2 Techs use this and nothing gets past it. This is a FREE scan and it does not install anything on your computer, it runs from the command prompt!

1) Save it to your desktop

2) Run It

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this....

(((((((((((((((((( other deletions )))))))))))))))))))

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, and everything should be back to normal. Best of Luck!

Here is you a guide just in case you want to see what happens.

Expert:  abhi_iitian replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

I do not think you are required to use combofix here, especially when we have no idea what your OS is, combofix does not work well many times with Vista .

Please let us know exactly when do you get this messege, still I would suggest you to run a scan for system file integrity using sfc /scannow

Click start, then run and type sfc /scannow
We may need thw windows cd for this to get through.
(Please let me know your windows version, xp or vista or other)

The information at the link below will assist you with this :

When you do that, it will ask for the windows cd , insert the cd then, allow it to reboot if it says so and if it asks for the windows cd again put it in let it finish. Then the runndll messege should go away. Also having done that you should perform a full system scan with your antivirus(Also let me know what you have).