Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST
16299369

The system could not find the environment option that was

Customer Question

"The system could not find the environment option that was entered"
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Are you running XP or Vista and when did you get this error message, when did it start?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Vista The message comes each time I attempt to re-install a programme or do anything that requires administrator priviliges. It started about a week ago when I noticed problems getting one programme to respond and then tried to re-install it.
THANKS! This could be a virus or spyware causing this so lets run a quick yet powerful scan to make sure its cleaned out.

Try to run COMBOFIX and it will take about 5 minutes to complete tops. The Microsoft Level 2 Techs use this and nothing gets past it. This is a FREE scan and it does not install anything on your computer, it runs from the command prompt!

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

1) Save it to your desktop

2) Run It

When it is done, you will get a notepad with the report. If anything was deleted it will show you at the top like this....

(((((((((((((((((( other deletions )))))))))))))))))))

After that, close the notepad, restart your computer, and everything should be back to normal. Best of Luck!

Here is you a guide just in case you want to see what happens.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

BEST OF LUCK! :)
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience: MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I attempt to run the executable file, I get the response "The system could not find the environment option that was entered" Very frustrating :-( I also have McAfee installed and allready did a scan, does that help?
Thanks for letting me know. McAfee doesnt always pick up on everything as nothing is perfect. Try this for me... Turn off the computer, boot to safemode with networking

1) Turn on the computer
2) Keep tapping F8 until you see advanced options menu
3) Use arrow keys to select safemode with networking and press enter

When you get to the desktop, try combofix again.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I did the scan which worked fine and deleted a few files, but I am now back to the same problems. Nothing has changed and I still cannot use administrator priviliges to re-install the programmes that are giving trouble. Perhaps I should just back up evertying and clean the system :-(
That would be the easy way out if you like! Lets try this...

1) Click Start
2) Click All Programs
3) Click Accessories
4) Right-Click Command Prompt
5) Click Run as admin

On the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press enter. This is the System File Checker and would put files back in place if any is out of place.

After this is complete, with still using the command prompt, type this chkdsk /r and press enter and it may ask you to let it scan when you do a restart so type Y and press enter and restart your computer to start the process.

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I attempted that and guess what? When I attempted to activate the administrator privilige I was told "The system could not find the environment option that you entered". I then attempted both scans without the privilige and in both instances I was told that I would need the privilige to execute the scans. Is it possible that I can do these scans in "safe mode" ? That seemed to work last time.
YES! You should be able to! If you can do it in safemode but not in Regular Mode, that tells me there is something in there that is throwing it off.

Try that and let me know what happens! Thanks!
Hey, i just found out that Microsoft just released Service Pack 2 finally, this could also help you. Here is the direct download.

Windows6.0-KB948465-X86.exe

Download and install that!

:)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I really appreciate your sticking with me on this one! Ok I downloaded the update, but was prevented from installing it with the full system running. The response I received was predictable. "The system...". I then tried to install it in safe mode and seemed to be working but failed and directed me to a second update which would fix the problem that was preventing the update from insalling. I also downloaded this sucessfully (in safe mode) and then tried installing and was advised that it cannot be installed in safe mode. I then reverted to regular mode and tried there and received the predictable "The system...". I am completely lost and really dont want to do a full install, espcially since the back up facility is not working well now either and it will be difficult to get evertying off my hard drive.
Sorry to hear that. Did you try the other commands from the above post?

Lets try this...

1) Click Start
2) Click All Programs
3) Click Accessories
4) Right-Click Command Prompt
5) Click Run as admin

Let me know what happens.

NOTE: If you have already done this, try this now.

Use your Windows Vista DVD to boot from it, and try a system startup repair.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html

BEST OF LUCK! :)
Just so you know, Microsoft Supports Service Packs Issues for FREE! So if the above dont help either, call Microsoft and only tell them at first that you are tring to installed Vista Service Pack 2 and you get an error message saying The system could not find the environment option that was entered.

Contact information and hours of operation

To contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support, telephone

1-800-642-7676

Microsoft Customer Service hours of operation:
Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time

BEST OF LUCK! :)
Expert:  Molinari replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Is the problem better or worse now?

Do you still need help, or is calling Microsoft a satisfactory answer?