Russell H., Computer System
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I am trying to send photos from HP Photosmart through emails

I am trying to send photos from HP Photosmart through emails on my gmail. An error message shows up:
"The host "SMTP" could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.   Acount: "POP3, Server:SMTP etc.

When I called a tech support person he said that my server is "gmail" How can I get this to share photos properly and easily with my email and hp photosmart software?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Your email address is an @gmail.com address, you are in need of SMTP configuration information for emailing functions of HP Photosmart software - as I understand it.

I will need to know what version of HP Photosmart software you are running, please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is HP Photosmart C6300 series for Windows XP. It is a wireless printer and my laptop is wireless also. I am not very good at computer languaging. The rest of the error message said:

"The host "SMTP" could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: POP3, Server: SMTP, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25 Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCCOD"

Also, when I tried to do something else on my email (nothing to do with HP) the same message appeared.

Help!

Through my week and 1/2 to trying to hook up my new wireless printer with my wireless laptop I have talked to the Router company, tech at HP Photosmart, tech at Telus (says they are not the server). The printer and laptop seem to be doing fine and can communicate with each other.

Help!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Is it a problem of the sort where the whole thing has been working, but suddenly doesn't? or is it a setup new in some way e.g. the router settings for the wireless access have changed, and that change in setup of the whole laptop-printer-wireless system you have, was co-incident with the SMTP error messages appearing?

Can you access your Gmail via a web browser (Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, etc) ?

Do you have control over the router or wireless access point that your laptop is using for Internet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a new setup. The HP Photosmart wireless printer is new. The router setting for the wireless access hasn't changed. I set it all up through the printer set-up wizard (with help from a couple of techs). It all worked when I got the laptop-new printer-wireless system all coordinated and working. Then when I tried to use the Photosmart softwear to send an email photo the SMTP error message appeared. When I contacted the Photosmart support tech he helped me to get all working but said he didn't want to go in and change the SMTP etc. All is working well. I can go back and forth between the laptop and printer wirelessly. I can print going through Windows My Documents etc. but I feel that it should work as the software says it should. Just press a share button when in the library of photos, put in the recipients email address, and send.

I really don't know what "server" means and that it really is gmail. Yes, I access my gmail account through Internet Explorer. Yes, I have control over the router (wireless access point) that my laptop is using for Internet.

What do you think?

Thank you for the information - it helps me assess the case.

Did you get the same (SMTP error) message when accessing Gmail through Internet Explorer? (strictly speaking that shouldn't happen, though being able to send and receive email to/from your Gmail account via IE is significant troubleshooting info relative to your case.)

What I think is, you have to send an email message (which involves 'SMTP' - never mind what that is for the moment - when not done through a web browser like IE) in order to share photos via Photosmart software. SMTP use involves a port, port 25 normally... but you are using Gmail (your email facility, resident in a remote server way off in Internet land) - and Gmail SMTP setup requires using a different port than the standard # XXXXX as mentioned in the error message - rather it should be port number 465, [or 587 if that doesn't work].
So, as I see it, you need to set your SMTP settings for Photosmart somewhat differently... the specific error message not only mentions port # XXXXX (wrong), but also indicates you might need to check on your server name settings. So, you need to find your email or sharing settings in Photosmart software Preferences or Options, and change
25
into the proper value
465
and check that the server name, for sending mail or for SMTP/outgoing mail, is
smtp.gmail.com
...just in case it says something different... it may be set properly already, the error message merely implies the need to check the server name setting.

Now, I have no guide to HP's Photosmart software, except what goes according to the version number of your issue of Photosmart software, which you haven't told me. So I have to put the advice in this general form - as yet, if you can tell me the version number of your own Photosmart software, from within that software as it is running.
Or you will have to just look through Photosmart's menus and settings, until you see a set of entries that includes mention of 25 and also possibly smtp.gmail.com or smtp settings or email settings or photo sharing settings - and change the 25 as mentioned above, and check the server name smtp.gmail.com is entered correctly, and nothing else... then save the settings change and try the sharing function again.
Russell H., Computer System
Experience: 11 years experience