Ryan B.
Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience
16548393

Brother MFC 5860 CN - ink level low - changed cartridge - close

Brother MFC 5860 CN - ink level low - changed cartridge - close door - stated no cartridge - open ink cartridge cover, then install ink cartrige. Done this loads of times still not recognizeing, tried another new cartridge still same happening - on ink management level zero
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer~!~Laughing

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question today. I have done some research on the brother support website and i believe I have found the answer you are looking for.

Source: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/002400/000087/faq002487_000.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc5860cn_all&Cat=11

Why does my machine's LCD show "NO CARTRIDGE" even though I have already installed new ink cartridges?

Description:

Note

Brother strongly recommends that customers do not use generic ink cartridges or refill their Brother ink cartridges. Using non-Brother supplies may affect the hardware performance, print quality and machine reliability since the ink formulation in genuine Brother ink cartridges prevents smearing and clogging of the print head.
    The Brother Limited Warranty does not apply to any problem that was caused by the use of third party ink and/or cartridges.

If the message "NO CARTRIDGE" remains on the LCD after you have installed the ink cartridge(s), it is possible another ink cartridge is empty and needs to be replaced or one or more of the cartridges are not installed properly. Complete the following steps:

1. Unplug the machine from the AC power outlet, wait approximately 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

1a. If the display continues to show NO CARTRIDGE, verify the cartridges are installed properly by uninstalling and reinstalling all four ink cartridges. Follow Steps 2a through 2f.

1b. If “INK EMPTY XXXXX” (Xs = color, i.e. INK EMPTY CYAN) is displayed on the LCD, the specified ink cartridge is empty and needs to be replaced. Follow Steps 2a through 2f.

2. To resolve an INK EMPTY message or to confirm the ink cartridges are installed properly, complete the following steps:

2a. Open the ink cartridge cover. Pull the lock release lever(s) down and take out the ink cartridge(s). While you have the ink cartridge(s) out of the machine, verify the cartridge(s) are genuine Brother supplies with the Brother logo embossed into the side of cartridge.

2b. Reinstall the ink cartridge(s). Lift and push the lock release lever(s) until it clicks into place and close the ink cartridge cover.

2c. The LCD may then display:

Did you change xxxxxx? Yes No.

for the color(s) that was replaced. If this message appears, BE SURE to follow the instructions on the LCD to correctly select Yes or No. Select Yes if you installed a new cartridge(s) to automatically reset the ink dot counter for that color. Select No if you did not install a NEW ink cartridge(s).

2d. After all the correct selections are made, the machine will then enter a cleaning cycle.

2e.If the display again shows INK EMPTY XXXX, go back to Step 2 and follow the instructions to install a NEW ink cartridge.

2f.If the machine did not enter a cleaning cycle and the display continues to show NO CARTRIDGE, please refer to the appropriate Customer Service contact information below for further assistance.

PLEASE NOTE:
If you are using or have used third party generic ink cartridges or refilled ink cartridges, the Cartridge Sensor printed circuit board may have been damaged. We have found that some third party generic ink cartridges leak onto the ink cartridge sensor circuit board causing an electrical short of the ink cartridge sensors. The damage from the leaked ink results in the machine displaying NO CARTRIDGE because the machine will no longer recognize the installed ink cartridge(s). Genuine Brother ink cartridges do not cause this issue because of the unique design developed to fit specifically in the Brother products. As long as a Brother cartridge has not been refilled, the Brother cartridge will not leak.

The photograph above shows a damaged printed-circuit-board. This circuit board (shown with the cartridge sensor removed to enhance visual inspection), was damaged when ink from a third-party cartridge leaked onto the circuit board near the installed cartridge.

• In USA
    If your unit is still within warranty, please click here for information on how to contact Customer Service Center for assistance.
    If your unit is out of warranty, please click here to locate a Brother Authorized Service Center near you.

• In Canada
    For the Brother Customer Service telephone numbers for assistance in Canada, please click here.

• In Latin America
    For the Brother Customer Service telephone numbers for assistance in Latin America, please click here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have already done what you have written as I have also been on brother site and aslo following instructions in the users guide
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Alright thank you for the reply. That is the only solution that brother lists for the issue that you are experiencing. If you have tried the solution and it didn't resolve the issue then your printer may need servicing(repair) done to it like the bottom of the solution says. To contact Brother and find a repair shop near your location please click on one of the links below:

• In USA

• In Canada

• In Latin America

Ryan B., Support Specialist
Experience: Comptia A+ Certified Technician , with 8+ years Experience