Nicholas Ramsay
Nicholas Ramsay, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Systems Engineer 10 years +LAN, WAN, Information Security, VOIP and wireless internet expert as well as small computer repair.
2623110

I work for Amtrak. I should normally have access to my files

Customer Question

I work for Amtrak. I should normally have access to my files through Citrix at my home computer. I don't. I can get into the first screen where the Icons are just fine, using my password XXXXX user name. However when I click on an Icon, it just makes a quick shot across the task bar and then nothing. Not of the icons work I have uninstalled and reinstalled Citrix. And this has made no difference. My wife also uses citrix on her computer and I can get into my files using her computer just fine. Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nicholas Ramsay replied 7 years ago.
Have you compared the firewall settings on your wifes computer to your own? I know Citrix uses a unique port because I just had a Citrix problem just like that here at work. Let me know if you have checked that. If not I will tell you what to look for and what ports you need.

-Nick
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Under Exceptions She Has

File & Print Sharing

Internet Explorer

McAfee Network Agent

MSN Messenger 7.5

Network Diagnostics for Windows XP

Real Player

Remote Assistance

S Agent 4

UPnp Framework

Under Exceptions I have

Bonjour

Print and File Sharing

Itunes

Network Diagnostics for Windows XP

Remote Assitance

Roxie UPnp Server

UPnp Frame Work

Windows Messenger

Yahoo FT Server

Yahoo Messenger

The one main difference is that I don't have Internet Explorer

Ralph

Disable the firewall on your computer completly. Attempt to connect and view files. Let me know if that makes a diffrence.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Nope, it did not make any difference.

Ralph

On IE click on help and then about and tell me the version of your browser and your wifes browser.

Also are there any pending windows updates on your computer that might have been installed on your wifes computer?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am running 7.0.5730.13

She is running 7.0.7730.11

Hmm looks like hers has an update to it. I would go ahead and install IE 8. See if that makes a diffrence.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/default.aspx

Install that and let me know if it makes a diffrence!

I am sorry I don't have a flat out answer that will work for you. This is taking a few troubleshooting steps to get to the bottom of. Hopefully soon after we try a few things we will have a solid solution.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have heard some problems about IE 8.0 and microsoft even provides a rollback program for uninstalling 8.0. Also at work I have 7.0 and use citrix every day. If you say it's really necessary to install 8.0, I will try it. However?

Ralph

No its not. I would like it if your browser matched the version of your wifes though.

Here is a better idea.
Install fire fox. If citrix complains then we can try the IE emulator for firefox "it runs pretty fast"

Also there is a plug in made by citrix for fire fox. Try this first before you try the IE plug in.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX109102

here is fire fox.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

here is the addon

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

make sure you add the website to the addons list of sites to open with IE emulation.

Let me know how this goes for you. If it works click accept. If not then just reply and we will work from there!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

After I added Firefox, Citrix Presentation Server Client-Web Only crashes during reinstallation. It says there is an error reading the MSI installtion file. I am worn-out on this right now and am getting ready to switch hard drives anyway. 70 gig to 250 gig for more space. I have 3.7 gig left. These problems with Citrix will have to wait until after that. I will check and see what version of IE 7 I have at work. Maybe I can roll .13 back to .11 on the new hard drive.

Thanks

Ralph

I won't be opening this email anymore tonight.

I understand your frustration. When you get around to checking this out again. I would try that IE add-on. Also it sounds like your computer is having other issues then with just citirx. I think a reformat may be a decent idea any way. Just do a normal install of everything and give citrix a try again. More than likely the issue will be resolved after that. Obviously I wasn’t going to come out and tell you to reformat your computer at the start of this :-).

Take Care Ralph!

-Nick

PS. If this was at all helpful please click accept.